Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 09:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good, I was interested in this topic. Mar 13, 2008

In fact I made an attempt in the past to post a poll on the topic! Glad to see your poll made it. I think the photo we use is very telling, and at the same time it's quite a fun topic.

A photograph is part of the "company image", so goes alongside the logo, the layout of your bills, your choice of company name, of e-mail address etc etc, to be chosen with care.

But here on Proz we are not so much selling ourselves to potential clients as to each other - the kind of pers
... See more
In fact I made an attempt in the past to post a poll on the topic! Glad to see your poll made it. I think the photo we use is very telling, and at the same time it's quite a fun topic.

A photograph is part of the "company image", so goes alongside the logo, the layout of your bills, your choice of company name, of e-mail address etc etc, to be chosen with care.

But here on Proz we are not so much selling ourselves to potential clients as to each other - the kind of person we think we're talking to on the forums and when making comments on postings. And ultimately, the kind of person we might send work to/work with... So in fact I don't mind addressing a picture of a dog or a cat, because it means I'm addressing a like-minded animal lover (shame if you don't like 'em I suppose); I like the dictionaries and nice pieces of art too, and the cheery faces brighten things up, as do the kids and babies. Wouldn't be suitable in a lot of contexts, but here I think they're just fine and dandy.

And what do I think my photo says about me? Well, it's been an accumulative thing I think. First of all I had my kids up there for you all to coo at whilst I was establishing (optimistic as ever) my good reputation amongst proz colleagues. Then I confessed, and put my own face up, so you could see what an open, friendly, approachable and bright looking person I am. (No, as the Spanish say, I do not have a grandmother to say all this about me). And I recently changed because there has been a change in my appearance by the introduction of the specs.

The other thing I should say is that there are only about three photos taken of myself in the last ten years which I can actually stand!

[Edited at 2008-03-13 18:24]
Collapse

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 04:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Professionalism Mar 13, 2008

Well, in my case, when I first joined Proz, I put a personal photo, but after some time, I decided to create a logo that could represent what I really wanted to show: professionalism. I hope it reflect what I wanted to.
Best,
Fernando

Gabrielle Bannard
Gabrielle Bannard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:26
French to English
Scary? Mar 13, 2008

The exact opposite of what I look like and am! I'm about as un-scary as can be (plain, girl-next-door kind of look), and I'm also a huge softie.

BUT the picture is of Granny Weatherwax from the Discworld series of Terry Pratchett. She's my idol and I wish I could be just like her!

Daniela Koleva
Daniela Koleva  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Both "Cheesy Grin" and "As I Am" :) Mar 13, 2008

I like that picture, especially the way my hair was done. It was taken in the summer of 2005 when I took part in a fashion show during the International Folklore Festival de Fibres en musique in France. We had a professional stylist though it was an amateur show... Don't think I am a professional model ... As for the "As I am" part everybody can see it.... What a better virtual way to share my cheerful personality with everybody... See more
I like that picture, especially the way my hair was done. It was taken in the summer of 2005 when I took part in a fashion show during the International Folklore Festival de Fibres en musique in France. We had a professional stylist though it was an amateur show... Don't think I am a professional model ... As for the "As I am" part everybody can see it.... What a better virtual way to share my cheerful personality with everybodyCollapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 03:26
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
We are all older than we are in all of our photos Mar 13, 2008

Since photographs are static images taken at a specific time in the past, by definition it follows that we are all younger than we currently are.

Indeed, as soon as I hit the "Post reply" button, I will have written this message from an earlier period in my life.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, both true and clever. Mar 13, 2008

Reed D. James wrote:

Since photographs are static images taken at a specific time in the past, by definition it follows that we are all younger than we currently are.

Indeed, as soon as I hit the "Post reply" button, I will have written this message from an earlier period in my life.

However, Reed, the key word in the poll question is "portrays." We are all older than our photos, but is there a perceivable difference?

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
It wasn't a lookalike... Mar 13, 2008

Hilary Davies wrote:

But WHERE is the George Clooney lookalike? Is it a violation of Proz rules to ask you to post the link???)

Sorry to disappoint you Hilary. It wasn't a lookalike, but a colleague who decided to use GC's photo as his profile photo.
I think we just have to accept the fact that someone with that face will not choose to sit behind a computer screen all day doing a job like ours!

PS: That is not to say that there aren't any really handsome and beautiful people in our profession, and on this website in particular!

PS2: I don't think I should post a link to a profile, but I'll just post a link to a recent forum discussion http://www.proz.com/topic/99361

[Edited at 2008-03-13 19:06]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Just enjoying the view Mar 13, 2008

It´s a picture my daughter took of me just enjoying the ocean view at the place where I was born. While there and while here (my usual residence is not there), I look about the same every day, only just a bit older.

Those are about the only kind of pictures I have.

I wonder, though, how many people do not have their own picture there, but someone else's?

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 10:26
English to Greek
+ ...
Great topic!! Mar 13, 2008

Actually, I fought hard to find a photo in which I was looking at the camera, my hair wasn't too high, I didn't have any strange look on the face, the light was ok and many other things for which we say "mmm, what a horrible photo" and then everyone else says "no, you look fine". So, I came across this one, but again there was a problem: I wasn't photographed alone, and the photo was a hardcopy, so I had to "chop" the other person to show off my face!

I didn't want to put on a pro
... See more
Actually, I fought hard to find a photo in which I was looking at the camera, my hair wasn't too high, I didn't have any strange look on the face, the light was ok and many other things for which we say "mmm, what a horrible photo" and then everyone else says "no, you look fine". So, I came across this one, but again there was a problem: I wasn't photographed alone, and the photo was a hardcopy, so I had to "chop" the other person to show off my face!

I didn't want to put on a professional photo, as I think that clients quite often want to have a more human face of their collaborators (or don't they?), and also this photo is supposed to introduce us translators to each other. I think that photos are more about personality and less about business, otherwise they become more of logos and less of pictures...

So, my answer to this poll was "other". My photo just portrays me as I am, and I also happen to like it!!!
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'vew so far been unable to upload any :/ Mar 13, 2008

The program tells me that the size is too large and I don't have the know-how or time to fiddle about with pixels etc. I might try later though ...

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 02:26
German to English
+ ...
Will the real Ken please show himself! Mar 13, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

Hilary Davies wrote:

But WHERE is the George Clooney lookalike? Is it a violation of Proz rules to ask you to post the link???)

Sorry to disappoint you Hilary. It wasn't a lookalike, but a colleague who decided to use GC's photo as his profile photo.
I think we just have to accept the fact that someone with that face will not choose to sit behind a computer screen all day doing a job like ours!

PS: That is not to say that there aren't any really handsome and beautiful people in our profession, and on this website in particular!

PS2: I don't think I should post a link to a profile, but I'll just post a link to a recent forum discussion http://www.proz.com/topic/99361

[Edited at 2008-03-13 19:06]

That is hilarious, Nesrin! I wonder, as Henry says, how many other people are in fact using someone else's (not necessary a celebrity's) picture! I wish I'd put that as an option now!

This poll is proving even more interesting than I thought it would be!

[Edited at 2008-03-13 20:13]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Funny and green? Mar 13, 2008

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:26
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I really wanted to vote "I don't know" Mar 13, 2008

The last person in the world to ask about my photo is me! How can I look at my own photo objectively and say whether I look younger, or professional, or fun-loving? It just can't be done.

I hope it looks all of those, and I hope I look like all of those things in the flesh, but I can't and don't know for sure.

And please, please don't comment either way! The very idea makes me want to hide under the bedclothes. I think one's photo comes across differently to each and
... See more
The last person in the world to ask about my photo is me! How can I look at my own photo objectively and say whether I look younger, or professional, or fun-loving? It just can't be done.

I hope it looks all of those, and I hope I look like all of those things in the flesh, but I can't and don't know for sure.

And please, please don't comment either way! The very idea makes me want to hide under the bedclothes. I think one's photo comes across differently to each and every viewer and all you can hope to do is not actively put people off. I'd really rather not show a photo, but as they are used on the site I think it's better to grin and bear it than to dodge the issue with a picture of a cat.
Collapse

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Up-to-date Mar 13, 2008

I like to show myself just as I am. This one was taken at my nephew's wedding party, last July, but now I have a few recent ones, so I will be replacing it soon.

I don't think you need to look "professional" here, since looks are absolutely irrelevant in telecommuting business.

Nice poll!

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
Local time: 04:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Mar 13, 2008

It's the only photo I have at the moment and the last one, it was editted from a bigger picture at work and I thought I looked ok and friendly, as I generally am.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Your profile photo portrays you as:

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »