Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you continue polishing your working languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 14, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you continue polishing your working languages?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:30
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I try Mar 14, 2008

Continually reading medical stuff as well as good literature in both languages.
Fortunately, I work in only one pair...

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It comes with our profession Mar 14, 2008

1 definition of polishing:

# improve or perfect by pruning or polishing; "refine one's style of writing"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Polishing my working languages can't be prevented. I consider it part of the job I'm doing. And there isn't a single day, where I am not learning something new.

siegfried

Pundora
Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:00
English to Hindi
+ ...
Yes, and naturally. Mar 14, 2008

Most part of the job gets done in the course of translation related activities(Kudoz included).
I like to read the daily news papers in my target language mainly and give at least 1 hour to it daily. I particularly keep a watch on new words being adopted in transliterated form and that are being translated because they get printed on minds of common man like that. This applies particularly to new business and finance terms in the age of globalization and liberalization of the economy. I a
... See more
Most part of the job gets done in the course of translation related activities(Kudoz included).
I like to read the daily news papers in my target language mainly and give at least 1 hour to it daily. I particularly keep a watch on new words being adopted in transliterated form and that are being translated because they get printed on minds of common man like that. This applies particularly to new business and finance terms in the age of globalization and liberalization of the economy. I also read a variety of magazines in Hindi. If I find time, I watch the TV channels as well. But I find their instant and quick-fix translations not so useful to use in my translations. Not to mention of the innumerable silly spellings and syntax errors that appear on the screen. I also read books in both English and Hindi but occasionally.
Collapse

Daniel Martin
Daniel Martin
Spain
Local time: 11:30
English to Spanish
Yes, back to college! Mar 14, 2008

I decided to go back to some lectures this year just to refresh some material I use regularly. I could have gone over the notes, but I find it more dynamic this way.

elen_d
elen_d
English to French
+ ...
even ProZ Mar 14, 2008

I said "yes"...
... using ProZ in its original version, for instance

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
A must! Mar 14, 2008

I always thought that was a must for translators?! The best thing about languages is that you never stop learning...

Marta Moraczewska
Marta Moraczewska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
how else? Mar 14, 2008

I would argue that in this job, it is unavoidable

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
A must, a non-stop process, and a real pleasure Mar 14, 2008

If you love your profession, of course.
Have a nice weekend, dear colleagues

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Where... Mar 14, 2008

Where is that 12% who said no?

Out to lunch, I guess.

Carla Abdel Karim
Carla Abdel Karim
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 14:30
French to Arabic
+ ...
Of Course! Mar 14, 2008

Continuous reading in all fields and sin my fields of specialty.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
More in some languages than others Mar 14, 2008

Hurrah for online TV and radio stations. They make a fine complement to reading and writing in my working languages.

Out of habit, I tend to tune in stations in Spanish or Catalan more often than French or Portuguese, but I'm trying to achieve a better balance in that area.

[Edited at 2008-03-14 23:29]

Alana Quintyne
Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Definitely Mar 15, 2008

Everyday I dedicate time to reading newspapers in all my languages, try to read an hour of good literature. I would think you'd have to keep polishing your languages to do the job well. I listen to the news in all languages and watch Latin American soap operas (not for the language, I just like them:) )

Sarah Lowndes
Sarah Lowndes  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Everyday Mar 15, 2008

Living here in Spain has been the best "schooling" going. I cover a whole range of topics just by going into town! It´s harder for my other working language.

Bea Geenen
Bea Geenen  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
Continuously Mar 15, 2008

I am spending 9 months in China at the moment to polish my Chinese, one of my source languages. The biggest disadvantage of living abroad is that I tend to forget my mother tongue. So I read as much as possible in Dutch (mostly over Internet), and get daily Dutch spelling exercises sent to me by e-mail. Having said that, I think the best way to polish one's working languages, is to work a lot.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you continue polishing your working languages?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »