Thread poster: CristinaY
CristinaY
CristinaY
Local time: 00:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 14, 2002

Hello!

Does anybody knows how much a english-portuguese translator is worth in the Brazilian market (São Paulo)? It would be to work for a consulting company (6 hours a day/5 days a week), and the material to be translated doesn\'t require too much specialization from the translator (some business letters, general marketing material, some technical, some juridical). I\'ve asked in the Brazilian Translators Trade Union (Sintra - Sindicato dos Tradutores), but they say they don\'t have
... See more
Hello!

Does anybody knows how much a english-portuguese translator is worth in the Brazilian market (São Paulo)? It would be to work for a consulting company (6 hours a day/5 days a week), and the material to be translated doesn\'t require too much specialization from the translator (some business letters, general marketing material, some technical, some juridical). I\'ve asked in the Brazilian Translators Trade Union (Sintra - Sindicato dos Tradutores), but they say they don\'t have such an estimate (only for freelancers).

How much would you guys charge for a job with these specifications?
Collapse

Esperanza Clavell
Esperanza Clavell
Argentina
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Full-time in-company translator Jan 14, 2002

Hi Cristina!

Last year I was about to enter an Anglo-American utility company in Argentina, as a translator-interpreter, full-time and at total disposal to travel (kind of No-time, No-life job).

I was offered 3,000 dollars plus 300 dollars for Vales-Refeiçao, social security etc. (monthly)

I hope this helps you as a reference.

By the way, I turned down the offer... but that is another story. Esperanza

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 15, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-14 16:14, CristinaY wrote:

and the material to be translated doesn\'t require too much specialization from the translator (some business letters, general marketing material, some technical, some juridical).

Hi Cristina,

I would take any such statement as a sure sign that they are trying to \"dourar a pílula\" for you. As I see it, there is no such thi
... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-14 16:14, CristinaY wrote:

and the material to be translated doesn\'t require too much specialization from the translator (some business letters, general marketing material, some technical, some juridical).

Hi Cristina,

I would take any such statement as a sure sign that they are trying to \"dourar a pílula\" for you. As I see it, there is no such thing as an \"easy translation\" or a translation that doesn\'t require some degree of expertise, especially if one of the fields is legal ).

As for the average salary in-house translators get in Brazil, I\'m not sure what it is. Translators are invisible in the job market. If you open the Caderno de Empregos in Folha de S.Paulo you\'ll find salary averages for plumbers, senior managers, secretaries, nannies, everything but translators. You should try to think of how much you can/ would like to make as a freelancer and try to pitch something thereabouts to your potential employer.

My two cents,

ME

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-15 01:17 ]
Collapse

Esperanza Clavell
Esperanza Clavell
Argentina
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
I want to add something Jan 15, 2002

Cristina,

I mentioned my experience in Argentina.

Let me tell you that, although the offer was very attractive, I turned it down.

I did so because I had a large client base, which had taken me quite a long time to obtain. This is something you should consider: losing contact with the translators\' environment, with your customerss etc. even if you continue working during week-ends.

On the other hand, having a fixed income is very enticing as you don\'t
... See more
Cristina,

I mentioned my experience in Argentina.

Let me tell you that, although the offer was very attractive, I turned it down.

I did so because I had a large client base, which had taken me quite a long time to obtain. This is something you should consider: losing contact with the translators\' environment, with your customerss etc. even if you continue working during week-ends.

On the other hand, having a fixed income is very enticing as you don\'t need to be on your toes looking for customers etc.

By the way, the company that was offering the job was a subsidiary of Enron... and closed down its operations one year after the job offer...

Good luck!
Collapse

CristinaY
CristinaY
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:( Jan 15, 2002

I agree with you, ME, that there is no such a thing as an \"easy translation\", but, as I already work in the company, I know the kind of material they need translated, and I can say that, if it is not a piece of cake, it is not an extremely complex technical material either. Anyway, as I would be an in-house translator, I would be counting on the other employees for technical advise if needed, so I don\'t think that would be a problem.

And you are totally right: there is no regulation
... See more
I agree with you, ME, that there is no such a thing as an \"easy translation\", but, as I already work in the company, I know the kind of material they need translated, and I can say that, if it is not a piece of cake, it is not an extremely complex technical material either. Anyway, as I would be an in-house translator, I would be counting on the other employees for technical advise if needed, so I don\'t think that would be a problem.

And you are totally right: there is no regulation at all for translators in Brazil. And the fact that there are no market measurements published for the profession makes things much more difficult for us. I\'ve seen variations from 800 to 2,300 reais, which I find, either case, outrageous (I am expecting too much?). Anyway, I was hoping to do a \"pesquisa de mercado\", so I could apply with some information about salaries. This way, neither I, nor the company, would be deceived.

As for the 3,300 dollars offer you received, Esperanza, I would gladly take it for half, if it could mean at least a \"Some-time, Half-a-life job\"!

Thank you very much for the kind replies!

Cris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Average SALARY for translator in Brazil

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »