Portuguese keyboard - Help
Thread poster: Lirica (X)
Lirica (X)
Lirica (X)
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2013

I'm new at this. My keyboard is English, I need to be able to type translations in Portuguese.
How do I do that, please. Is there a program I can download that will give me the equivalent letters and symbols?

Tatsiana Ihnatsyeva
Tatsiana Ihnatsyeva  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 12:12
English to Russian
+ ...
you can use Windows language panel Jun 10, 2013

Dear Lirica,

if you use Windows, you right click the language tab on your task bar at the bottom of the PC desktop and select the Parameters.

By pressing Add... you wil find a directory of languages and keyboards to your service.

Mind that you tick both the language and its relevant keyboard option.

I hope this helps.

Have a lucky start!

[Редактировалось 2013-06-10 08:03 GMT]

Alexander C. Thomson
Alexander C. Thomson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:12
Dutch to English
+ ...
Character Map Jun 10, 2013

An extra tip:

On any Windows system, a good quick workaround if you have really unusual characters to input, and/or you donʼt have the time or confidence to adjust your keyboard settings, is to go to Start menu -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map and just select (double-click, or single-click + Select) and then copy the character(s) you need, then just paste them straight into your document.

You can select one after the other if you have a string of two or
... See more
An extra tip:

On any Windows system, a good quick workaround if you have really unusual characters to input, and/or you donʼt have the time or confidence to adjust your keyboard settings, is to go to Start menu -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map and just select (double-click, or single-click + Select) and then copy the character(s) you need, then just paste them straight into your document.

You can select one after the other if you have a string of two or more characters to input at once, and then copy and paste them as one block. For example, for Portuguese, you could select the a-tilde, o-tilde, c-cedilla and five acute-accented characters, as a block of eight (or maybe ten if you need the superscript a and o), copy and paste this block into your document in one command, then you have them within your document to copy and paste as needed.

N.B.: along the top bar of Character Map, you can choose from all the fonts installed on your system to locate what you need.

A sort of Character Map “lite” exists within Microsoft Word: Insert -> Symbol (or, in the newest editions: Insert -> Symbols -> Symbol -> More Symbols). Word will remember which characters you most recently inserted, so it is a moderately quick way of inputting a small number of accented characters for a language like Portuguese, as long as the documents are short.

This ceases being an efficient way of doing things if you are producing a regular stream of accented characters, and certainly if you are inputting non-Latin script. Then you really need to adjust your keyboard settings to have any speed at all.

Good luck!
Alex

[Edited at 2013-06-10 07:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-10 07:29 GMT]
Collapse

Viviane Marx
Viviane Marx  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Some codes Jun 10, 2013

Hier are some signs:

You have to press ALT +

ç = 0231
Ç = 0199
ã = 0227
à = 0195
á = 0225
Á = 0193
â = 0226
 = 0194
é = 0233
É = 0201
ê = 0234
Ê = 0202
í = 0237
Í = 0205
ó = 0243
Ó = 0211
ô = 0244
Õ = 0213
ú = 0250
Ú = 0218
à = 0224
À =0192

I hope I could help you a litte bit.

Lirica (X)
Lirica (X)
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Portuguese keyboard - Help Jun 11, 2013

Thank you all.
Word 2013 - Office 365, is quite different from the 2010 version so I'm still struggling with the issue.
I'll keep trying.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portuguese keyboard - Help

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »