Thread poster: Gwidon Naskrent

Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:32
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2007

Hello,

I'm currently sweating on a translation project concerning emission trading (directive 2003/87/CE) in Portugal. Unfortunately, it was written by Portuguese people in a less than intelligible dialect of English. Fortunately, most of the meaning can be gleaned from context and the occasional correct English terms, but two things I'm not sure of: 1) forwarding (as in forwarding no. 1083/2003) - is a ministerial order (regulation) meant here? and 2) Order of the Territory and Environment - is that a subdivision of the Ministry of Cities - a department perhaps?

Thanks for all your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Manuela Ramalho  Identity Verified
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Portuguese legal terminology Dec 13, 2007

Dear Gwidon,

I suppose you are right about "forwarding" (an impossible translation for "despacho", a ministerial order . By "Order of the Territory and Environment" is meant a policy, possible correct translations could be: regional planning, land management, resource planning and development, town and country planning,; although it also could mean a specific regulation : Regional Planning Law.

I hope this can help you.

Regards,

M. Ramalho

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
post in EN to PT Dec 13, 2007

Gwidon Naskrent wrote:

unfortunately, it was written by Portuguese people in a less than intelligible dialect of English. Fortunately, most of the meaning can be gleaned from context and the occasional correct English terms, but two things I'm not sure of: 1) forwarding (as in forwarding no. 1083/2003) - is a ministerial order (regulation) meant here? and 2) Order of the Territory and Environment - is that a subdivision of the Ministry of Cities - a department perhaps?

Assuming you don't have access to the Portuguese, only to a poor translation to EN, the logical thing (and an approach that will give you faster replies) is to post the questions as two separate EN>PT questions. Any PT speaker who knows EN/legal EN would be able to guess the backtranslation.

I just sent you a PDF, in which I found this:

for "1083/2003" I found this sentence: "Established under the terms of the ****Joint Official Communication No. 1083/2003****, of 13 December, having as a
main mission the drafting of a proposal for a National Allocation Plan for 2005-2007, to submit to the Government."

Does that answer your second doubt?

[Edited at 2007-12-13 13:17]

Bence Áts
Hungarian to Portuguese
+ ...
Ministério das Cidades, Ordenamento do Território e Ambiente Dec 13, 2007

Hi Gwidon,

As regards your question No. 1, I agree with Manuela; the Portuguese word must be 'despacho'. Another English term to be considered is 'resolution'.

Question No. 2:
'Ministério das Cidades, Ordenamento do Território e Ambiente' was one of the ministries of the Portuguese government between 2000 and 2004. (Currently, it is called: 'Ministério do Ambiente, do Ordenamento do Território e do Desenvolvimento Regional'.)

My proposed translation: 'Ministry of Urbanization and Territorial and Environmental Management'.

I hope these help.

Bence

Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 13, 2007

Using a list of Portuguese ministries I managed to work out the correct title of the regulation. Hurdles such as "Directive 2003/87/CE, by the Parliament and Advice" (instead of Council!) continue to appear (ok, this was an easy one to clear), so I guess that I'll take your advice and use the Kudoz system for the next expression that leaves me stupefied.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help with Portuguese legal terminology

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search