Nicole Tata
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:43
English to German
+ ...
May 6, 2004

Hi all,

Anyone fancy a day at the seaside?

Given the complete absence of any meetings planned for England (and Scotland and Wales, come to think of it) until the London Powwow in December (after Christmas!), I'm willing to stick my head above the parapet. Is there any interest to meet in Brighton at the end of August over the Bank Holiday?

Brighton is fantastic in the summer (weather permitting) with lots of bars/restaurants, quirky shops and loads of cultu
... See more
Hi all,

Anyone fancy a day at the seaside?

Given the complete absence of any meetings planned for England (and Scotland and Wales, come to think of it) until the London Powwow in December (after Christmas!), I'm willing to stick my head above the parapet. Is there any interest to meet in Brighton at the end of August over the Bank Holiday?

Brighton is fantastic in the summer (weather permitting) with lots of bars/restaurants, quirky shops and loads of culture, not least the Royal Pavilion. And, of course, there's the sea. We're an hour from London Victoria by train, 1/2 hour by direct train from Gatwick Airport and straight down the M23/A23 by car.

Should there be enough feedback, I'm happy to propose a powwow and do whatever is necessary to get this thing off the ground.

Looking forward to your replies.

Best regards all round
Nicole
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Some feedback May 6, 2004

It sounds great but I'm not promising anything yet. I might go.
Regards,
Javier

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:43
German to English
+ ...
Definitely interested. May 6, 2004

I'd love to come! But could you fill in the uninitiated on exactly when this bank holiday is?

Thanks,
Michele

jerrie
jerrie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Fantastic idea! May 6, 2004

Why don't you post it as a tentative Pow Wow posting ... bet you'll be staggered by the interest!

Nicole Tata
Nicole Tata
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So far so good May 6, 2004

Sorry Michele, of course I should have given some dates. The last weekend in August is a bank holiday weekend, in England in any case:

Sat 28th
Sun 29th
Mon 30th

Regards
Nicole

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
...or a day at the Scottish seaside in early July? May 6, 2004

I'd actually been wondering myself if anyone would fancy coming to a Powwow in Scotland in the first week in July. I'll be over in St. Andrews from June 30 - July 6 so perhaps we could get two Powwows going - one for the "southerners" and one for the "notherners".

I've been to at least half a dozen Powwows in Germany and the UK and their always a great time. As a learning experience, for networking, and for general fun.

Any takers? If not, I guess I'll have to look in
... See more
I'd actually been wondering myself if anyone would fancy coming to a Powwow in Scotland in the first week in July. I'll be over in St. Andrews from June 30 - July 6 so perhaps we could get two Powwows going - one for the "southerners" and one for the "notherners".

I've been to at least half a dozen Powwows in Germany and the UK and their always a great time. As a learning experience, for networking, and for general fun.

Any takers? If not, I guess I'll have to look into coming to Brighton!

Alison
Collapse

Effie Emmanouilidou
Effie Emmanouilidou  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:43
English to Greek
Count me in! May 6, 2004

Hello,

I have just recently moved from Greece to Brighton and I think your idea is great! Since nothing really goes on in Greece, in terms of meetings, it would be a great opportunity to meet other translators here.

I hope you can manage it, maybe I could help you out.

Effie Emmanouilidou

Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sounds great! May 7, 2004

I live in Brighton too and would love to go!

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 14:43
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
If only it were in July.... May 7, 2004

....then I would definitely come.

Diana

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Good idea May 7, 2004

Cambridge was finally chosen last Summer in preference to the South Coast, so I think this is an excellent suggestion Nicole.
Are you going to start a Powwow page, because the thread has already lost its front-page spot (and this would put a notice - with Union Jack - on all UK based Prozians' home-pages)? If you haven't organised one before, I can offer one or two tips but it's really not too difficult.

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Would love to attend a Scotland Powwow May 7, 2004

Hi Alison,
Your idea sounds great, except that I'll be in Denmark during the first two weeks of July...
Do you plan to come "home" later in the year? Then maybe we can work something out nearer the time.

Dorota Cooper
Dorota Cooper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
I would be interested May 12, 2004

I spent 5 weeks in Brighton once and I loved it, attending a powwow would be a great opportunity to meet my friends there as well. Are non-professionals welcome? (I am hoping to start studying Translation this coming September)

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would like to come May 12, 2004

but the only possible time for me would be the weekend between August 6 and August 8.
Perhaps there will be more candidates for this weekend ...

Hoping
Jerzy

Nicole Tata
Nicole Tata
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's official! May 15, 2004

The Brighton Powwow has been scheduled for 28 August. Please look on the powwow board and put your name down if you fancy joining us.

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Who left their branded sunglasses behind? Aug 29, 2004

Hi,
I was pleased to meet you all in yesterday's powwow.
Somebody left their sunglasses behind. I gave them to the staff. If you live in Brighton you may be able to get them.
Regards,
Javier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Powwow in Brighton, UK in the summer?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »