https://www.proz.com/forum/powwow_organizers/28990-organizing_a_powwow_and_responsibilities_see_the_howto.html

Organizing a powwow and responsibilities (see the 'howto')
Thread poster: Ruxi
Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Feb 1, 2005

I would like to ask some questions regarding the organisation of a powwow.
I am thinking to organise one in the South of Germany in the summer, but I would like to know some matters about the responsibilities.Here are my questions:
1. The organizer is supposed to provide:hotel, restaurant? Or does it happen only on one day?
2. What costs must an organiser cover?Does he has to pay anything?
3. Must he/she design a plan of a meeting, an agenda?
4. The Id's of the par
... See more
I would like to ask some questions regarding the organisation of a powwow.
I am thinking to organise one in the South of Germany in the summer, but I would like to know some matters about the responsibilities.Here are my questions:
1. The organizer is supposed to provide:hotel, restaurant? Or does it happen only on one day?
2. What costs must an organiser cover?Does he has to pay anything?
3. Must he/she design a plan of a meeting, an agenda?
4. The Id's of the participants - does he/she has to confirm them,to send them to ProZ-site?

Thank you,
Ruxi

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-01 14:45]
Collapse

Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:03
English to French
Nothing to pay Feb 1, 2005

You don't have to pay anything!

Just find a place for everyone to meet, give the directions and wait for people to show up. Regarding the agenda, you can propose a theme but you don't have to. The only thing that you have to provide to the Proz team is the list of participants, so everyone get the Browniz for attending the Powwow. After the meeting you or an other participant can write a small report on the Powwow and post it on this site.

Make it simple: find a good re
... See more
You don't have to pay anything!

Just find a place for everyone to meet, give the directions and wait for people to show up. Regarding the agenda, you can propose a theme but you don't have to. The only thing that you have to provide to the Proz team is the list of participants, so everyone get the Browniz for attending the Powwow. After the meeting you or an other participant can write a small report on the Powwow and post it on this site.

Make it simple: find a good restaurant and simply chat with the participants.

Good luck!
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Take Louise's advice Feb 1, 2005

She should know; she's a veteran

PS She might add that hosting an outdoor pow-wow can be disastrous in a thunderstorm We tried that once, it doesn't work.

I would suggest a somewhat larger restaurant. We recently had one in Montreal, and 22 people showed up, and we filled the place! However, as the 'reporter' for the pow-wow, I had not much to
... See more
She should know; she's a veteran

PS She might add that hosting an outdoor pow-wow can be disastrous in a thunderstorm We tried that once, it doesn't work.

I would suggest a somewhat larger restaurant. We recently had one in Montreal, and 22 people showed up, and we filled the place! However, as the 'reporter' for the pow-wow, I had not much to report, as my conversation was physically limited by the size of the restaurant vs. the size of our group. It was difficult to move around and mingle. It's something to keep in mind when selecting the venue.

Of course, if the weatherman *promises* a series of sunny days, I'd go for a meeting in the park! Bring sandwiches and cold beer, some extra lawn chairs, and of course your camera, and you're on!

Good luck. Looking forward to reading the report.

Nancy

PS Pray for good weather in the middle of June in Ontario; I'm hoping to host a 'floating' pow-wow on the St Lawrence. No rain that day, I hope!!!

PPS Please make a list of attendees, with their real names (so they can be VIDded) as well as their 'site name' and pro number, to be sure they are awarded their BrowniZ.

N.

[Edited at 2005-02-01 13:32]
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 00:03
German to Romanian
+ ...
well... powwows in Germany Feb 1, 2005

I think the German community already has a solid "nucleus" of "powwowers" who meet up very often (I think they meet more often than any other community). They hold powwows all over the year, in many locations in Germany.
Since you don't have so much experience in organizing one, maybe you could just start by attending one of the powwows, to get an idea and then you can organize powwows yourself more efficiently.

Just a thought...
See more
I think the German community already has a solid "nucleus" of "powwowers" who meet up very often (I think they meet more often than any other community). They hold powwows all over the year, in many locations in Germany.
Since you don't have so much experience in organizing one, maybe you could just start by attending one of the powwows, to get an idea and then you can organize powwows yourself more efficiently.

Just a thought
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:03
How the Dubs did it Feb 1, 2005

I helped organise a powwow in Dublin back in Sept and it was a great success.

Don't worry, you do not have to pay a penny to organise the actual meeting. All we did was pick a pub, turn up on time (well...), get a table so there is enough room for everyone and off you go.

The main thing to remember is that 100 people may say they're interested and would love to go.... it DOES NOT mean all 100 people are going to be there. People always forget, bail out or have somethi
... See more
I helped organise a powwow in Dublin back in Sept and it was a great success.

Don't worry, you do not have to pay a penny to organise the actual meeting. All we did was pick a pub, turn up on time (well...), get a table so there is enough room for everyone and off you go.

The main thing to remember is that 100 people may say they're interested and would love to go.... it DOES NOT mean all 100 people are going to be there. People always forget, bail out or have something else on. Besides, I think a smaller meeting is more effective, that way, everyone has to talk to each other, and not just to their neighbour.

Our pow-wow was a great success, now we have a translation "stammtisch" every month

Orla
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
I wrote a Howto on organizing a powwow Feb 1, 2005

I wrote a howto called "How to organize a powwow in your city"
See: http://proz.com/howto/211

Sorry this is not more accessible! I will add some links to it.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Great suggestion, Elvira! Feb 1, 2005

That's exactly right.

And good to know that pow-wows are alive and well in Germany and Dublin... for those of you who don't yet know it, I looooove pow-wows! My dream is to win the lottery and travel from pow-wow to pow-wow all over the world Oh well, we're entitled to our dreams, no?

Nancy

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What you should NOT do... Feb 2, 2005

...like one foreigner tried last automn here in Finland. This male "colleague" announced the first ever pow-wow in Finland and tried to date female translators who responded to the call. It didn't exectly make proz.com more popular here.

[Edited at 2005-02-02 02:47]

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for the answers Feb 2, 2005

Thank you all for the kind answers.
My problems(and this is why I asked it) are:
1. I am not strong financial for the moment;
2. I would like to organise one myself because:
- my town and region are beautiful and worth to be seen
- I would like to meet translators even from this(my)town, to cooperate and why not, get friends.
Here I come to the answer of Elvira:
She has a good idea, but first of all I am not yet able to travel long distances (financial m
... See more
Thank you all for the kind answers.
My problems(and this is why I asked it) are:
1. I am not strong financial for the moment;
2. I would like to organise one myself because:
- my town and region are beautiful and worth to be seen
- I would like to meet translators even from this(my)town, to cooperate and why not, get friends.
Here I come to the answer of Elvira:
She has a good idea, but first of all I am not yet able to travel long distances (financial matters-train, hotel a.s.o) and it does not help me so much in my local intention.
Besides my region is in a corner where people from at least 3 countries can attent with no great effort.
Yes, I like very much the idea to make it in summer and...outdoors.

Thank you anyway,
Ruxi
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Organizing a powwow and responsibilities (see the 'howto')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »