Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
To all (potential) Edinburgh Stammtisch attendees: What is your preferred day?
Thread poster: Marion Lurf

Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
English to German
+ ...
Nov 29, 2007

Hello everyone in and around Edinburgh,

As you might know, we meet every month on the 4th Wednesday, but unfortunately this day of the week is less than convenient for several people (including myself in recent times). Therefore I am thinking of organising the Stammtisch on a different day, to which we would stick in the future, and I would like to ask you to put in your vote for your preferred day.

My favourites are Thursday or (possibly) Friday, what about you?

If you have any questions, please let me know. Looking forward to reading your opinions and to seeing many of you at our 2nd anniversary in January!

Marion

Direct link Reply with quote

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My preferences Nov 29, 2007

Hi Marion,

I don't really mind that much, although would prefer that it wasn't Friday as I quite often go away for the weekend on a Friday evening. The only night that I cannot do at all is Monday.

See you next time!

Becky.

Delphine LE BOULANGER-REID
United Kingdom
German to French
+ ...
Preferred day Nov 30, 2007

Hello Marion,

the thing is i have to come from Glasgow and after a long day work, it really depends on my level of tiredness as i've got to think of the way back as well. And as i have been very busy those last 2 weeks and had to work overtime, it really wasn t possible for me to join you at the powwow. Friday might be the better day for me since i can still organise myself to work on the Saturday if i haven't finished what i am doing at the end of the day and don t have to worry about getting home too late otherwise.

See you,

Delphine

Tommy Beavitt  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Stammtisch Nov 30, 2007

For me Thursday would be the best night. Hope to see you all there. Tommy

xxxMGallagher
Dutch to English
any day except Monday is fine for the Edinburgh stammtisch Nov 30, 2007

Dear Marion,
I don't mind which day, only Monday night is my Spanish class.
regards Marie

hulferts
English to German
Stammtisch Nov 30, 2007

Hi everyone,
Thursday would be the best day for me; has a "nearly weekend" feel to it...
Hopefully see you soon, Heike

PeggyStrachan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Edinburgh Stammtisch Dec 1, 2007

Hi everybody,

I don't mind which day we meet, but I was wondering if we could start just a little bit earlier. I have to get back to Falkirk and the very last train is at 11.33. If I miss this one I am quite stuck.

Cheers,
Peggy

Fiona Paterson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Wednesday best for me Dec 2, 2007

Hello there Marion (and everyone else)

I haven't made it along recently but that's been because of being away, too much work etc and Wednesdays are actually best for me because of my commitments on a Tues and Thurs afternoon. But I don't have any regular evening commitments at the moment, so I'm happy to go along with what suits everyone else.

I'm having a lovely time in Australia and I'll look forward to seeing you all in Feb

Fiona

Christine Mercier  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Preferred day Dec 2, 2007

I really can't do Wednesday. I do have commitments on Tuesday and Thursday, but could skip these occasionally to attend. I don't think Friday is a good idea as it interferes with going away for the weekend. Which leaves Monday ... (or Tuesday/Thursday, as above). I don't think we are going to find a day that suits everybody, so whichever day is chosen is bound to be a compromise.

David Kerr  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Preferred night for Stammtisch Dec 2, 2007

Wednesday is OK for me but I don't have any objections to Thursday.

Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Hi Marion Dec 2, 2007

Unfortunately I again couldn´t make it last Wednesday, but I don´t have any objections to Wednesdays in general. But Thursday would be fine for me as well. As others have commented before, I think Friday would not be such a good idea, since very occasionally some of us get to go away for the weekend

Hope to see you all soon.

Manuela

United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Preliminary results Dec 3, 2007

Thanks everyone who replied to this thread and wrote to me in private.

I agree that it will not be possible to find a day that suits everyone, unless we created an 8th day dedicated to the Stammtisch. So far it looks like most people prefer either Wednesday or Thursday, with many objections to Friday as well as Monday. I will wait for another few days to see if more people reply before taking the final decision, but at the moment the most likely scenario is that the day will be changed to Thursday.

In response to Peggy's post, would other people be willing to come a bit earlier, say 7/7.30?

Hope to see you all soon. Don't miss our 2nd anniversary in January!

Marion

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
English to German
My preference Dec 4, 2007

Hi Marion

I, too, haven't been along for quite a while, so first of all, thanks to Marion for keeping the Stammtisch going.

I can do Wednesdays but I'd also be happy to come Tuesdays or Thursdays as it's only once every 4 weeks. I would probably prefer for the Stammtisch not to be moved to the weekend, e.g. Friday night or Saturday/Sunday afternoon. Though I could be persuaded to drag myself away from the house on a Saturday afternoon (doesn't look like weekends are popular, though, hehehe).

Sorry, I'm rambling. Just back from the Dortmund conference and still buzzing after meeting so many people (again or for the first time) and enjoying some good presentations, social events and of course Glühwein at the Christmas market.

Rebekka

Sarah Magee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
thursdays? Dec 4, 2007

Thursdays would suit me well as I never have anything planned on that night. Other week nights are OK too, as it is only once a month and I can probably make it fit around other things. Weekends are difinitely out for me, though.

Sarah

United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's time... Dec 7, 2007

...to take the final decision. Since there haven't been any more replies in the last few days, I assume everyone who wanted to tell me their preferences has already done so. Thanks for all your contributions!

The new day for the Stammtisch will be Thursday, starting in January 2008. Watch the powwow space as I'll be announcing it soon. Hope to see many of you there, and have a lovely Christmas in the meanwhile!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

To all (potential) Edinburgh Stammtisch attendees: What is your preferred day?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search