https://www.proz.com/forum/powwows/164656-powwow_salzburg_austria.html

Powwow: Salzburg - Austria

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Salzburg - Austria".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ester Vidal (X)
Ester Vidal (X)
Local time: 07:28
English to Catalan
+ ...
Where? Jan 8, 2002

Where can we meet us?At what time? Do you prefer another day? It seems that not very much people is interested on it:(

Beth Jones
Beth Jones  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
ÖAG? Kaffeehaus? Jan 13, 2002

Hi, Ester & Co.!
Is it up to us to organize the PowWow? I thought it was put together by the Proz.com people.

Hmmm, if it is up to us, I’ll start looking into it, since I live here (you too?).

Depending on how (in)formal we want it to be, I can see if the local Austro-American Society would have a space/table & chairs for us. Or we can perhaps reserve at a coffeehouse/restaurant?

I will also have to see if I will have to work at my regular job
... See more
Hi, Ester & Co.!
Is it up to us to organize the PowWow? I thought it was put together by the Proz.com people.

Hmmm, if it is up to us, I’ll start looking into it, since I live here (you too?).

Depending on how (in)formal we want it to be, I can see if the local Austro-American Society would have a space/table & chairs for us. Or we can perhaps reserve at a coffeehouse/restaurant?

I will also have to see if I will have to work at my regular job that day (unless we meet in the afternoon or on a weekend?) What would be good for you?

Also -- do those attending already have to be Proz.com members? None of the translators I’ve notified are official members, and one asks if she can attend as my guest.

This is new to me, so I don’t know the protocol. Any experts out there with powwow expertise?
Thanks for your input!
B Jones
Collapse

Ester Vidal (X)
Ester Vidal (X)
English to Catalan
+ ...
Can you organize it, Beth? Jan 13, 2002

Hi, Beth and Co.!
I don't also know powwow protocol, but I think we need an organizer. As you live in Salzburg, could you be the organizer? I live also in Salzburg, but I'm here since last January, and I don't know the city very much.
I would prefer an informal place, not very expensive, maybe we could go for a coffee in the afternoon, 25th is Friday, but we can also meet us on Saturday 26th, if it's better for more people.
I think that other people can attend at the meeting,
... See more
Hi, Beth and Co.!
I don't also know powwow protocol, but I think we need an organizer. As you live in Salzburg, could you be the organizer? I live also in Salzburg, but I'm here since last January, and I don't know the city very much.
I would prefer an informal place, not very expensive, maybe we could go for a coffee in the afternoon, 25th is Friday, but we can also meet us on Saturday 26th, if it's better for more people.
I think that other people can attend at the meeting, it seems that we are only 2 or 3, so it would be better:)
See you soon,
Ester Vidal
Collapse

Beth Jones
Austria
German to English
Update Jan 17, 2002

Hi Ester (and All)!
Yes, I could act as organizer, if you’d prefer.

One possibility for our meeting place could be
Restaurant Sternbräu,
Griesgasse 23
right downtown in the Altstadt, easily reached by bus (e.g. #1 from the HptBahnhof).

It’s large, with semi-private areas where we could reserve a table, and an extensive, medium-priced menu ("Hausmannskost"). I’m pretty sure it’s open all afternoon...? And after we adjourn, any newco
... See more
Hi Ester (and All)!
Yes, I could act as organizer, if you’d prefer.

One possibility for our meeting place could be
Restaurant Sternbräu,
Griesgasse 23
right downtown in the Altstadt, easily reached by bus (e.g. #1 from the HptBahnhof).

It’s large, with semi-private areas where we could reserve a table, and an extensive, medium-priced menu ("Hausmannskost"). I’m pretty sure it’s open all afternoon...? And after we adjourn, any newcomers to Salzburg could then step out into the heart of historic Old Town.

Or does anyone have a better suggestion for a coffeehouse/restaurant in the city that’s close to public transport?

A newer coffeehouse, "Cafe Classic", across from the Makartplatz (Landestheater) bus stop at Makartplatz 9 would also be easy for "newbies" to find. (Also a short ride on Bus # 1, 5, 6, 51 or 55 from the train stn). The "Sacher" is my favorite café and also right near there, but it IS a bit more expensive...)

I can go in and ask about reserving a table in my name (Jones) at the place(s) of our choice from, say, 2 to 4 p.m. (14-16h) on whichever day we choose. How does that sound? (Earlier/Later? Longer than/shorter than 2 hours?)

Any other ideas/suggestions/requests (from anyone)?
I agree, Saturday (even Sunday) would also be a possibility (tho’ a bit more crowded perhaps?).

And are we free to bring non-Proz.com members as guests, or is that a no-no?

If someone has a better idea or any questions, please don’t hesitate to speak up!
I’ll be happy to give any out-of-towners clear directions to the place of our eventual choice.
Feel free to contact me directly.
(Auch auf deutsch!)

More soon,
Beth
Collapse

Ester Vidal (X)
Ester Vidal (X)
English to Catalan
+ ...
Are we alone? Jan 21, 2002

Hi, Beth!
I'm afraid that we are alone for this powwow:( I'm not even sure if we need to be more people for a powwwow, I have read somewhere there has to be a minimum of 5 ProZ members. Do you know it? Should we try to choose a day at the end of February just to see if more people is interested? What do you think?
I cannot come during the weekend, only on Friday I have a little bit of time after 15 h, maybe for a coffee. Or we can also wait one month and see if more people is joining
... See more
Hi, Beth!
I'm afraid that we are alone for this powwow:( I'm not even sure if we need to be more people for a powwwow, I have read somewhere there has to be a minimum of 5 ProZ members. Do you know it? Should we try to choose a day at the end of February just to see if more people is interested? What do you think?
I cannot come during the weekend, only on Friday I have a little bit of time after 15 h, maybe for a coffee. Or we can also wait one month and see if more people is joining us.
Hoping to hear from you soon,
Ester
Collapse

Beth Jones
Austria
German to English
Wed. Update Jan 23, 2002

Hi All --
I’ve also read the Powwow info again, and
Ester, you’re absolutely right. Technically, if we don’t have 5 people signed up, the Powwow is not "On".

Nonetheless I’ve reserved a (far back corner) table in my name at the Café Classic on Makartplatz in Salzburg for ("ab") 14.30 on Friday. Even if Proz.com chooses not to approve the powwow, we can still get together on Friday and say "hello". I’ll be inviting a non-member (another local translator),
... See more
Hi All --
I’ve also read the Powwow info again, and
Ester, you’re absolutely right. Technically, if we don’t have 5 people signed up, the Powwow is not "On".

Nonetheless I’ve reserved a (far back corner) table in my name at the Café Classic on Makartplatz in Salzburg for ("ab") 14.30 on Friday. Even if Proz.com chooses not to approve the powwow, we can still get together on Friday and say "hello". I’ll be inviting a non-member (another local translator), so we could be 4 people if we all can (or want to) come anyway. We could also then discuss organizing a "real" Powwow at a later date...?

I’ll be there in any case (any excuse to eat cake!)
I’ll check the Proz. site by 9:30 a.m. on Friday for confirmations.
If I still see your name(s), I’ll be watching for your shining faces sometime Friday afternoon.
OK?
Thanks, and I’ll look forward to meeting any and all comers -- if not on Friday, then at another powwow!
Let them eat cake!
Beth Jones
Collapse

Ester Vidal (X)
Ester Vidal (X)
English to Catalan
+ ...
I'm not sure... :(( Jan 24, 2002

Hi, all!
I really hope I can come to Cafe Classic tomorrow afternoon, but I'm not sure.

Unexpectedly, I have to work tomorrow, and I don't know at what time I'll finish yet. Anyway, as soon as I finish my work I'll take a look at Cafe Classic to see if you are still there. I'll do my best and try to come. If not, I would look in Powwow Board for another meeting date.

Hoping to see you tomorrow and have a nice meal,

Ester Vidal

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Salzburg - Austria

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »