Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Powwow: San Diego - United States

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: San Diego - United States".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

A-C Robertson (X)
A-C Robertson (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:31
French to English
+ ...
I meant to post that down here and changed my first post instead...oops! Apr 1, 2005

Hi guys! Thanks so much for your interest, you look like a fun group We translators are so isolated sometimes, aren't we? I'd like to get together maybe over dinner to meet and talk and compare notes, and then something recreational! Ideas?

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Let's see if I'm writing in the right place :-) Apr 1, 2005

I believe a nice restaurant that has a special area for parties and business gathering would be ideal, so that we would have our space to discuss projects while having a good time.

One of the places I've been to here in San Diego was Coco's, a nice little restaurant at Balboa Ave., Clairemont Area. I have no idea about prices though but if I had the space, I would organize one of these gatherings every three months at my own house!...
See more
I believe a nice restaurant that has a special area for parties and business gathering would be ideal, so that we would have our space to discuss projects while having a good time.

One of the places I've been to here in San Diego was Coco's, a nice little restaurant at Balboa Ave., Clairemont Area. I have no idea about prices though but if I had the space, I would organize one of these gatherings every three months at my own house!
Collapse

A-C Robertson (X)
French to English
+ ...
Hey guys :) Apr 2, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion, Rafaela...I'll check out Coco's! I live in Pacific Beach so it's not far. Welcome to everyone else, too. Edward, you have an awesome resume! I'm in rehearsal for a musical right now, but when I have some time to breathe, I will definitely make more concrete plans.

A Word For I (X)
A Word For I (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Adventurous and exotic ideas Apr 4, 2005

A-C!

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm going to Japan for a week around May 1st so I'd prefer late May. Saturday or Sunday only for me. I wouldn't be able to make it any other time.

I know the Coco's in Clairemont - not bad. I think we can find a more intimate and relaxing place though. If we are sufficiently adventurous group I suggest a Korean barbecue dinner someplace on Convoy street. I was in Korea for a year and learned to love Korean food. Gathering around the tab
... See more
A-C!

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm going to Japan for a week around May 1st so I'd prefer late May. Saturday or Sunday only for me. I wouldn't be able to make it any other time.

I know the Coco's in Clairemont - not bad. I think we can find a more intimate and relaxing place though. If we are sufficiently adventurous group I suggest a Korean barbecue dinner someplace on Convoy street. I was in Korea for a year and learned to love Korean food. Gathering around the table and sharing foods from the common table seated Asian style is a great way to commune and experience the spirit of being together. I don't think it would be too exotic for our group and the barbecue style lends itself to picking, choosing and ordering items to our liking.

There's also a north African sandwich/bistro place on Convoy st. which I believe is still open if anyone likes Middle-Eastern foods. I heard there's a Moroccan restaurant somewhere in S.D. too. I'll look for some info. Or maybe an Indian restaurant in Hillcrest?

Well, that's one suggestion. Late afternoon might be nice followed by a trip to a nearby Tea or Coffee shop - the Japanese/French bakery by Nijiya Market in Clairemont would be one good spot. Or perhaps we could meet for a scenic stroll down by La Jolla cove? Or a stroll in Balboa Park by the bridge?

Well, there are a few more ideas. Hope to meet all our fellow language enthusiasts in May.
Collapse

Rich194
Rich194  Identity Verified
English to German
Taking care of business Apr 4, 2005

I'm sorry, folks, but I don't have time for a stroll at la Jolla Cove. And the type of restaurant is not important to me. Why don't we choose a nice place centrally located for everyone? Here is my suggestion: The Hilton San Diego Resort on Mission Bay has a great ocean front patio restaurant, with a fabulous and inexpensive lunch menu. I use it for meetings a lot and it's great for small group discussions and get togethers.

Rich194
English to German
Date Apr 4, 2005

I like May 15 at noon as suggested before.

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
New ideas Apr 4, 2005

May 15, lunchtime sounds good. Any place that could be nice and quiet, I mean, a place where we could sit and stay for as long as we'd like, would be ideal. I believe a very busy and/or small place wouldn't be interesting because I don't think anyone would like to be rushed during such a productive experience as I expect our gathering to be.

A-C Robertson (X)
French to English
+ ...
Updates Apr 4, 2005

Hi, Edward, are you going to be able to make May 15, even though you prefer late May? I would like to make sure everyone can come, since I'm sure we can all be flexible. It seems like May 15 does work for everyone though, so please let me know.

What does everyone think of Rich's oceanfront patio lunch idea vs. Edward's Korean barbecue idea? I personally love the Korean bbq place except that it is usually too spicy
... See more
Hi, Edward, are you going to be able to make May 15, even though you prefer late May? I would like to make sure everyone can come, since I'm sure we can all be flexible. It seems like May 15 does work for everyone though, so please let me know.

What does everyone think of Rich's oceanfront patio lunch idea vs. Edward's Korean barbecue idea? I personally love the Korean bbq place except that it is usually too spicy for me. And I live in PB, so I am pretty much centrally located for everything! Looking for your input, and bon courage for the beginning of another workweek...

* Anh-Chi *
Collapse

lagunali
lagunali
Local time: 09:31
Turkish to English
+ ...
Date Apr 4, 2005

I like May 15 at noon, too.

I live in Orange County. I have at least an hour drive to SD. I would prefer a lunch meeting. Meeting at the Hilton San Diego Resort on Mission Bay sounds GREAT!

A-C Robertson (X)
French to English
+ ...
May 15 at the Hilton San Diego resort? Apr 7, 2005

This sounds like a great plan to me. Let's all meet at noon, and I'll make reservations once we get closer to the date and I'm more sure of how many are coming. If you'd like to confirm your attendance, please do under the "will attend" column. Also, please bring your ProZ ID # with you so I can mark you down. I can't wait to meet you all! I'll keep checking in with updates in the meantime. Let me know any thoughts!

A Word For I (X)
A Word For I (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
the 15th Apr 10, 2005

A-C,

The 15th works. The location and time are fine. Hope to see you then. View of the water sounds great!

lagunali
lagunali
Turkish to English
+ ...
Parking @ the Hilton SD Apr 15, 2005

Does anybody know a reasonable parking area around the Hilton SD?

FYI - I just checked out the parking fee at the Hilton SD and it is $14.00 daily.
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/directions.jhtml?ctyhocn=SANHIHH

Does anyone know of

Rich194
English to German
Parking Apr 16, 2005

I have never paid parking at the Hilton San Diego Resort. There are plenty of free parking spaces between the hotel and the tennis courts.
Tennis anyone?

lagunali
lagunali
Turkish to English
+ ...
Parking Apr 19, 2005

Thanks for the info.

A-C Robertson (X)
French to English
+ ...
Hola! Apr 27, 2005

Hi, guys, can't wait to meet you all Just a reminder to confirm your attendance if you are sure you will be able to come. Olganet, I'm sorry you can't make it, but I'm sure there will be others, and very soon! (I think I saw one for June 2).

Have a great rest of the day!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: San Diego - United States

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »