Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Powwow: Toronto - Canada

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Toronto - Canada".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:00
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Meeting Room at Richtree Oct 20, 2009

Hello everyone,
As I mentioned when we had the last Powwow, on Fridays there is no room booking at Richtree, which is why we are going back to meeting on Thursdays. We will have a room reserved, the patio is an option but can often by very noisy. I will keep you advised.

gsloane
gsloane  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Yonge/Eglinton Area Nov 16, 2009

Let me source some restaurants in that area and get back to you all with a few suggestions by midweek.

Jason Wen
Jason Wen  Identity Verified
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nice talking with you guys at the Powwow! Nov 28, 2009

Hi everyone and especially Suzanne,

Last Thursday I had my first powwow which was so great! It is really a pleasure for me to know you guys and share with you. And I look forward to more of such occasions in future!

Special thanks should be given to Suzanne for organizing such a wonderful event!

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks to Suzanne for organizing Nov 28, 2009

...and to all for attending. It was great meeting old friends and making new ones.

Ital translator
Ital translator
Italian to English
Change in location? Nov 16, 2009

How about a compromise between uptown and downtown? In the Little Italy stretch (in the College Bathurst area) there are a slew of restaurants/bars. There is one in particular - The Cafe Diplomatico (or The Dip as it is better known). It has a partioned room within the restaurant where it is a little quieter and allows us to chat. The restaurant serves mainly authentic delicious italian food at a more than reasonable price.

For those of you who have been there, you'll also know th
... See more
How about a compromise between uptown and downtown? In the Little Italy stretch (in the College Bathurst area) there are a slew of restaurants/bars. There is one in particular - The Cafe Diplomatico (or The Dip as it is better known). It has a partioned room within the restaurant where it is a little quieter and allows us to chat. The restaurant serves mainly authentic delicious italian food at a more than reasonable price.

For those of you who have been there, you'll also know that most of the time it is packed and with people waiting in line outside. I just happened to pass by there today and asked about the feasibility of getting a table in that room. They said it is available for the date that we have set; however, they require a minimum of eight people.

Unfortunately, like any other hub in the semi-downtown core there is little to no parking. There is a streetcar stop in front of the restaurant though.
Collapse

Red Lieutenant
Red Lieutenant  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Italian
+ ...
Not Cafè Diplomatico, please Nov 16, 2009

Personally, I don't find The Dip very attractive, but am open to other locations.

daniel137
daniel137
Polish to English
+ ...
Subway access Nov 16, 2009

Where ever we meet, subway access should be within walking distance for easy travel (in my opinion anyways, perhaps this point is not valid if everyone else is driving ... in which case, feel free to ignore my suggestion).

Ital translator
Ital translator
Italian to English
Little Italy... Nov 16, 2009

I agree that it is very crowded. Just to clarify. I'm referring to the segregated room at the back of the restaurant which is purposely a lot quieter.

I'm okay with the Yonge/Eglinton area too.

Suzanne Deliscar
Canada
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fifteen Registrations and Counting! Nov 9, 2009

Good morning everyone,

So far we have 15 people expressing interested in the Pre-Holiday Toronto Powwow on November 26/09. Please feel free to invite other translators and interpreters who may not be aware of the event, the more the merrier! Please ask them to register for the Powwow so that we can have an idea for seating.

Have a wonderful day,

Suzanne Deliscar (formerly Suzanne White)

gsloane
gsloane  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Little Italy... Nov 16, 2009

...or even the Yonge/Eglinton area (convenient subway stop) where there are also a slew of restaurants which will take a reservation. Café Dip is awfully crowded all the time and while it's a great locale, it can often be rather rowdy for a meeting to exchange ideas, etc. If you can stand the noise, I'll give a vote to that one if no one wants to go to the Yonge/Eglinton area.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 23:00
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I'll be a little late Nov 23, 2009

and arrive around 8 p.m.

Suzanne Deliscar
Canada
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Change in Location? Nov 15, 2009

I have been talking to Richtree, and they are telling me that since there is a concert downtown on November 26, as well as American Thanksgiving, they will not confirm a table. They said that we can meet at the bar and wait for 15 minutes, and then they will seat us.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to meet at Richtree on Thursdays and Fridays, since they will not book us a table. Any suggestions? I am fine with waiting at the bar until we get a table, but if others do not want
... See more
I have been talking to Richtree, and they are telling me that since there is a concert downtown on November 26, as well as American Thanksgiving, they will not confirm a table. They said that we can meet at the bar and wait for 15 minutes, and then they will seat us.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to meet at Richtree on Thursdays and Fridays, since they will not book us a table. Any suggestions? I am fine with waiting at the bar until we get a table, but if others do not want this, please post a suggestion by this Tuesday so that we can decide. I also called Moxies at Yorkdale, and they do not make reservations for meetings taking place after 4 PM.
Collapse

Ital translator
Ital translator
Italian to English
Change in Location? Nov 16, 2009

Suzanne, I am fine with waiting at the bar for the 15 mins.
If we are rethinking the location though
in the downtown area there is also a 'Keg' (on York Street), Le Bifteque (on Richmond St) and Le Baton Rouge (Eaton Centre) that I know have somewhat partioned spaces. I wouldn't know about their reservation policies on a Thursday night for those particular tables.

Suzanne Deliscar
Canada
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Venue Change to the Keg - November 26, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions. It appeared that the Keg (at Wellesley subway station) was the most accessible and accommodating for our Powwow. We will be meeting there instead of Richtree. Our reservation is at 7 PM. The contact details are at the top of the Powwow page, and I will be sending out amended invitations showing the new location. Thanks again.

Suzanne Deliscar
Canada
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Keg a Possibility Nov 17, 2009

The Keg downtown is a possibility, thanks to gsloane for the suggestion. I will wait until this evening for further suggestions, and then let all of you know what will work out time and reservation-wise for the most accessible locations. Please send in any further suggestions by 6 PM today.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Toronto - Canada

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »