Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Powwow: Reading - United Kingdom

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Reading - United Kingdom".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:42
Italian to English
Salisbury Dec 13, 2009

Yes Sabine, that idea appealed to me too. However, for all those who have expressed an interest so far (excluding me), the total travelling time in minutes (by train) would be: Reading 236, Basingstoke 272, Andover 355, Winchester 378, Salisbury 384 and Newbury 532.
From what they have said so far, it seems that Nicole and Mary would not go as far as Salisbury but perhaps they will prove me wrong?

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:42
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Thanks! Dec 14, 2009

Thanks to all, particularly to Russel for checking out the traveling times!
Both Reading and Basingstoke would be fine, I've never traveled from Andover to Salisbury by train, but I think it won't be a problem.
Do you think we're ready to post a more specific location and date and send out an invitation to members located within 50-100 miles using the tools available on ProZ.com?

Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 17:42
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Thank you Jan 3, 2010

Thank you again for oragnising this event, Russel and Laureana. It was nice to meet all of you, and I have defrosted again in the meantime.

It would be nice to get together again in the spring.

Nicole

Laureana Pavon
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Thanks Russel! Dec 9, 2009

Thanks Russel for setting this up. It's too bad about the trains... If traveling on the weekend is too difficult and we decide to have a midweek powwow in Winchester, that would be fine with me. My only limitation is that I will not be able to drive, so I have to be able to get there by train. I look forward to meeting you!

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Current thoughts Dec 13, 2009

Those expressing an interest so far are scattered over quite a wide area.
I've looked at total (train) travelling times to various places on Sunday 3rd and Basingstoke looks most convenient, closely followed by Reading.
It may be that not everyone would travel by train, of course and I could well understand that these places might still be too difficult for Mary and Sabine in particular.
I know that Nicole has organised Powwows in Reading before, the last one at the Slug and
... See more
Those expressing an interest so far are scattered over quite a wide area.
I've looked at total (train) travelling times to various places on Sunday 3rd and Basingstoke looks most convenient, closely followed by Reading.
It may be that not everyone would travel by train, of course and I could well understand that these places might still be too difficult for Mary and Sabine in particular.
I know that Nicole has organised Powwows in Reading before, the last one at the Slug and Lettuce in October 2008.
Looking at a review of places in Basingstoke, the one possibility that caught my eye was The Way Inn, not far from the Station: http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57369/ .
Any reactions - or better ideas - would be welcome.
Collapse

Sabine Braun
Sabine Braun  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Another suggestion Dec 13, 2009

Russell, I had another look at the places you suggested in your introductory post. One was Salisbury. I know that Salisbury is easy to reach from Andover and Bournemouth (I can get there by bus), but I don't know how complicated it is for everybody else. So this is just another idea - waiting for your comments!

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Location Dec 14, 2009

That's right Laureana; I'm trying to pin down a location acceptable to the majority of current subscribers, so as to be in a position to send out the standard invitation.
It's helpful to know that 3 are OK for you - (Basingstoke 17 minutes, Salisbury 20 and Reading 45 with 1 change incidentally).
I'm feeling sorry for Sabine as she was one of the first to respond but, with no-one else from Hampshire expressing an interest, it's looking as though she will be outnumbered.
My o
... See more
That's right Laureana; I'm trying to pin down a location acceptable to the majority of current subscribers, so as to be in a position to send out the standard invitation.
It's helpful to know that 3 are OK for you - (Basingstoke 17 minutes, Salisbury 20 and Reading 45 with 1 change incidentally).
I'm feeling sorry for Sabine as she was one of the first to respond but, with no-one else from Hampshire expressing an interest, it's looking as though she will be outnumbered.
My other slight concern is that so far we have no-one actually living in Basingstoke (or Salisbury) to confirm the choice of venue. Decent pubs (usually serving food) might just get fully booked for lunch on the Sunday of the New Year holiday. I shall try to do some research on that tomorrow.
Collapse

Laureana Pavon
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Local contact Dec 14, 2009

I think you're right Russel. Perhaps it would be best to see if any of those who have expressed interested would be able to secure a table.
Would any of you Reading girls be able to make a reservation and/or recommend a place in your home town? That might make things easier.
From what I've seen here and in the powwow forum, Reading seems to be a good choice. I'm not very familiar with the region, so I don't know whether, Russel, it would be difficult for you to make it.
I've or
... See more
I think you're right Russel. Perhaps it would be best to see if any of those who have expressed interested would be able to secure a table.
Would any of you Reading girls be able to make a reservation and/or recommend a place in your home town? That might make things easier.
From what I've seen here and in the powwow forum, Reading seems to be a good choice. I'm not very familiar with the region, so I don't know whether, Russel, it would be difficult for you to make it.
I've organized several powwows, and in my experience the sooner we announce a location the more likely more colleagues will be able to make arrangements to attend. I definitely think we should make a decision no later than this week.
Collapse

Nadine_heather
Nadine_heather
France
English to French
+ ...
Possible location in Reading Dec 14, 2009

Hi all. If we were to organize the Powwow in Reading, I can recommend several places to have a drink and/or eat. My personal favourite is the Oakford Social Club which is located directly opposite the station, so very easy to reach.

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Decision Time Dec 14, 2009

OK. I'll wait till tomorrow morning for any workable alternative suggestions and otherwise, if I can take your post, Nadine, as a kind offer to sound out the Oakford Social Club (if necessary), I'll get the venue changed to Reading and request the issue of e-mails to ProZ.com users living within a 50 mile radius of Reading.

Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 17:42
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Reading Dec 14, 2009

Good evening, I haven't been to the Oakford Social Club myself yet, but my husband assures me it's a lovely venue. So I'm in favour of this suggestion.

[Edited at 2022-06-25 04:02 GMT]

Laureana Pavon
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Powwow details Dec 15, 2009

Now that we've decided on a location, a date and a time, perhaps Russell, as the powwow organizer, can change the event details so that when others who have not followed the process receive the invitation, they will know right away where and when we're meeting.
Merry Christmas!
Laureana

Nadine_heather
Nadine_heather
France
English to French
+ ...
Oakford Dec 15, 2009

Yes I can check with the Oakford Social Club that they would have enough room for us - and maybe book a table once we get the final number of people - if we do decide to go for Reading and that pub of course.

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Thank you Nadine Dec 15, 2009

That is very helpful of you.
As you all can see, the venue has been confirmed as Reading. Staff have also been super-fast in sending out e-mails to all signed-up members within 50 miles.

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
To Nadine Dec 21, 2009

I have sent you a ProZ.com Mail Nadine (mentioned just in case it gets filtered out anywhere).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Reading - United Kingdom

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »