https://www.proz.com/forum/powwows/168917-powwow_paris_france.html

Powwow: Paris - France

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Paris - France".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Powwow des 3 Moustiquaires Apr 30, 2010

Chers collègues,

Je démarre mon projet Around the Worldfast (www.wordfast.fr) à Paris et ça me ferait un grand plaisir de vous retrouver pour boire un verre après le travail dans un bar ou café sympa. Une belle occasion pour se rencontrer et de se détendre avant le week-end !

Dans le cadre de mon tour du monde, j'ai fixé un objectif de recueillir 20.000 dollars pour lutter contre le p
... See more
Chers collègues,

Je démarre mon projet Around the Worldfast (www.wordfast.fr) à Paris et ça me ferait un grand plaisir de vous retrouver pour boire un verre après le travail dans un bar ou café sympa. Une belle occasion pour se rencontrer et de se détendre avant le week-end !

Dans le cadre de mon tour du monde, j'ai fixé un objectif de recueillir 20.000 dollars pour lutter contre le paludisme. Vous pouvez faire des dons au cours de cette pow-wow (ce que vous voulez donner) pour que nous puissions acheter au moins 3 moustiquaires (21 €) et sauver autant de vies !

J'espère vous comptez parmi nous !
John

---

Dear colleagues,

I'll be traveling through Munich on my Around the Worldfast tour (www.wordfast.fr) and would like to meet up for an afterwork drink in a local bar, café. A great opportunity for use to meet and de-stress before the weekend!

As part of my world tour, I have set a goal to raise $20,000 to prevent the spread of malaria. I'll be collecting donations during the powwow (whatever you want to give) and we'll buy some bednets and save some lives.

Hope you'll be able to make it!
John
Collapse

david young
david young  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:03
French to English
er, John May 3, 2010

it seems you're intending to use your Wordfast training tour to promote a charity; trouble is, it could be construed as using a charity to promote Wordfast. Having met you at the last pow-wow, I'm sure this is not your intention, but could you comment?

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Good CSR debate in the making! May 3, 2010

david young wrote:

it seems you're intending to use your Wordfast training tour to promote a charity; trouble is, it could be construed as using a charity to promote Wordfast. Having met you at the last pow-wow, I'm sure this is not your intention, but could you comment?

Thanks for your message, David. I see where the confusion could be created. I am doing my Wordfast trainings to make a living. My charity is part of my commitment to be a socially responsible citizen and professional. These things are inseparable in my mind. Indeed, my charity will reflect well on my professional activities. If you bring value and positive values to your community, you become a valuable member of your community. A good conversation to carry on during the powwow...
Looking forward to seeing you again and thanks again for your observation!
John

Andreas THEODOROU
Andreas THEODOROU  Identity Verified
Spain
Greek to English
+ ...
i don't see what this has to do with Pow Wows May 4, 2010

Hello John

I don't think that a Pow Wow meeting is an appropriate platform for your Wordfast training and charity activites (though I wish you every success for both).

As regards your proposed theme (corporate social responsibility) - I wonder how relevant this is to ProZians, the majority of whom are freelancers (at least those that attend PowWows).

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Why CSR is important for you. May 4, 2010

Hi Andreas,
Thanks for your wishes!
Maybe you're right, my cause and activities are featuring too prominently on this powwow page. Sorry for that, I'll tone it down (I made a mistake when creating this powwow and accidentally posted when I wanted to edit the info...).
So, up to everyone else to please tell us more about your cause(s)!
I think CSR is vital for any business and as a freelancer, you are a business. If I need a translation done, and two people offer to do it, I
... See more
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for your wishes!
Maybe you're right, my cause and activities are featuring too prominently on this powwow page. Sorry for that, I'll tone it down (I made a mistake when creating this powwow and accidentally posted when I wanted to edit the info...).
So, up to everyone else to please tell us more about your cause(s)!
I think CSR is vital for any business and as a freelancer, you are a business. If I need a translation done, and two people offer to do it, I am going to compare the value they have to offer me. This value could be measured by superficial criteria (like he has a nicer profile picture or I don't trust guys with mustaches) by professional qualifications (he has such and such a diploma while hers...) or by who you are as a person and what you do to make the world we live in a better place.
I know a certain Hungarian freelance translator living in Bordeaux that I would happily entrust with translation work or send clients to because of his CSR efforts to help NGOs provide clean drinking water. Price would not be a major factor in my decision.

Now, it is very important to do things with conviction, otherwise you may look like you're jumping on a bandwagon. For this you need principles and values...

Ok, would rather continue to talk about this on the 20th! Hope you'll be able to make it!
Best,
John
Collapse

Tecpatl
Tecpatl
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Il était une fois la révolution May 18, 2010

Mon grand-père a attrapé le paludisme pendant la révolution mexicaine dont les atrocités ont aussi contribué à le faire devenir médecin, nous avions même fait une traduction médicale ensemble.

Merello
Merello
Message de la part de John aux participants May 20, 2010

Il sera un peu en retard ce soir pour le Powwow au Café de L'Industrie

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Sorry May 20, 2010

je viens d'arriver... bouchons au sud de Paris (plus le trajet Nice - Paris, plus long que prévu

Je suis dans le premier café sur votre gauche en venant du metro Bastille (ceuli qui ne fait pas un angle) !

Désolé pour ceux qui sont arrivés tot...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Paris - France

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »