Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Powwow: Boston - United States

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Boston - United States".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.


Peipei Xiang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
A Chance for Us to Meet Feb 8, 2017

I've been working as a freelance translator (English/Chinese) for about three years now and most of the time it's a pretty solitary job. I would love to get to know more professionals who work in this field and make friends. Since this is the first powwow session in Boston, it can be very casual. We can find a cafe or a nice outdoor space and just hang out. Also open to all suggestions and ideas. I just thought that I'd get this started.

 

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
We're in! Feb 8, 2017

My wife and I (my wife is also a translator) are in the Boston area as well, and would love to meet up. I think we'll be away next Tues.-Sat., but otherwise we're generally around, so just let us know when you're thinking!

 

Peipei Xiang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
Great! Feb 9, 2017

Hi Preston, thanks for joining! It would be great to meet you and Linda! I was thinking sometime in March. I picked a tentative date for March 11th.

 

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
Afternoon? Feb 9, 2017

That should work--we both usually have classes (interpreting for my wife and Uyghur for me) until 2:30 PM on Saturdays, so perhaps we could meet in mid-afternoon?

 

Peipei Xiang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
Afternoon? Feb 10, 2017

Noted. Will keep it in mind as we firm up the details later.

Preston Decker wrote:

That should work--we both usually have classes (interpreting for my wife and Uyghur for me) until 2:30 PM on Saturdays, so perhaps we could meet in mid-afternoon?


 

Carmen Valentín
United States
Local time: 12:02
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Upcoming powwow in Boston, MA Feb 10, 2017

Greetings,
My name is Carmen, a native speaker from Puerto Rico. However, I have been living in Boston for the last 37 yrs. I have been working as a translator since 2008. Previously, I taught Spanish to high school students for over 30 yrs.
Nevertheless, I look forward to meeting other translators/interpreters in the area, and to learning from other colleagues about their experiences in the translation business.


 

Peipei Xiang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
Upcoming powwow in Boston, MA Feb 10, 2017

Welcome, Carmen. Thank you for getting the conversation started! I'm actually learning Spanish now and plan to visit Puerto Rico sometime soon! I'm sure that I can learn a great deal about that from you!icon_smile.gif

Carmen Valentín wrote:

Greetings,
My name is Carmen, a native speaker from Puerto Rico. However, I have been living in Boston for the last 37 yrs. I have been working as a translator since 2008. Previously, I taught Spanish to high school students for over 30 yrs.
Nevertheless, I look forward to meeting other translators/interpreters in the area, and to learning from other colleagues about their experiences in the translation business.


 

Alessandra Micco  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
English to Italian
Upcoming powwow in Boston, MA Feb 11, 2017

Hi everyone,

My name is Alessandra, I am an Italian translator and I moved to Boston 3 years ago. I would love to meet other colleagues!! I will try my best to attend this powwow. What would be its location? Any idea?


 

Peipei Xiang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
Upcoming powwow in Boston, MA Feb 11, 2017

Hi Alessandra,

Thanks for joining us. I was thinking that we can meet somewhere in Boston downtown area, a cafe or something similar. If the weather is nice, we can also meet at a park, perhaps Public Garden. We shall see what March brings.

Alessandra Micco wrote:

Hi everyone,

My name is Alessandra, I am an Italian translator and I moved to Boston 3 years ago. I would love to meet other colleagues!! I will try my best to attend this powwow. What would be its location? Any idea?


 

Peipei Xiang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
Hope everyone is staying warm! Feb 13, 2017

How is everyone coping with the snow and biting cold these days? Enjoying it, hating it? For me, it significantly decreases my willingness to go outside (need to get all geared up and tread very carefully), and I eagerly wait for spring! How does everyone else feel?

 

Katie Morrissey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for organising, Peipei! Feb 13, 2017

I'm a freelance translator from German to English and I moved to Boston from the UK just before Christmas, so I'd love to meet some new people! I hope to be able to make it on March 11th but I'm expecting a baby at the beginning of March so I'll have to see how things go and let you know.

 

Peipei Xiang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thanks for organising, Peipei! Feb 13, 2017

Welcome, Katie. Whether we see you on March 11th or not, congrats on the baby. Hope to meet you very soon in any case!

Katie Morrissey wrote:

I'm a freelance translator from German to English and I moved to Boston from the UK just before Christmas, so I'd love to meet some new people! I hope to be able to make it on March 11th but I'm expecting a baby at the beginning of March so I'll have to see how things go and let you know.


 

Katie Morrissey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for organising, Peipei! Feb 13, 2017

Thank you! I'll keep you postedicon_smile.gif

 

Stephen Volante  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Looking forward to powwow Feb 16, 2017

I've been a freelance Spanish and French to English translator for the past 5 years. Before that, I worked in-house for the Boston-based NGO Partners In Health.

 

Peipei Xiang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
Looking forward to powwow Feb 17, 2017

Hi Stephen! I'm familiar with Partners In Health. They do amazing work! Looking forward to meeting you!

Stephen Volante wrote:

I've been a freelance Spanish and French to English translator for the past 5 years. Before that, I worked in-house for the Boston-based NGO Partners In Health.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Boston - United States

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search