Work as a Freelancer on a student visa (Spain)?
Thread poster: Mohamed Mehenoun

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 17:04
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 18, 2009

Hello,

I am wishing to pursue my studies in Spain. I'll need a student visa of course. But I'm curious about the possibility to continue my activity as a Freelancer there while studying.

Is there any procedure to follow ? Is it possible ?

Thanks.

Mohamed

[Edited at 2009-01-18 15:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-01-18 15:52 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
What I did Jan 18, 2009

I can't help other than tell you that I studied in one country - Ireland - but carried on part-time freelancing - from another country - Spain. Both were EU countries. I wasn't entirely sure of the legalities, but I figured I wasn't going to be living enough days in one year in Ireland to be considered resident there. So I studied in Ireland and did my occasional jobs in Ireland but billed with my Spanish address and was paid into my Spanish account.

It seems to me that you might be able to do something similar: to all intents and purposes work as a freelancer based in Algeria, although physically (and temporarily) present in another country. Yet, if you have a student visa to study in Spain, that implies being awarded residence for that period. And strictly speaking, you can't be resident in two countries at one. I didn't need a visa, so that issue didn't come up.

You need to make enquiries with the authorities in both countries, but you may find it's a legal loophole. Nowadays, with the Internet, many people are physically located in one place while fiscally located else. It's probably not entirely legal, but it's difficult to see how to control it. And if it's only temporary (as in my case and your case) and provided you pay your taxes, it may be that, if not entirely legal, it's tolerated.

Please don't take this as gospel, as I'm only telling you what I did, not what should be done:-)

[Edited at 2009-01-18 16:21 GMT]

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 17:04
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Jan 18, 2009

Lia Fail wrote:

I can't help other than tell you that I studied in one country - Ireland - but carried on part-time freelancing - from another country - Spain. Both were EU countries. I wasn't entirely sure of the legalities, but I figured I wasn't going to be living enough days in one year in Ireland to be considered resident there. So I studied in Ireland and did my occasional jobs in Ireland but billed with my Spanish address and was paid into my Spanish account.

It seems to me that you might be able to do something similar: to all intents and purposes work as a freelancer based in Algeria, although physically (and temporarily) present in another country. Yet, if you have a student visa to study in Spain, that implies being awarded residence for that period. And strictly speaking, you can't be resident in two countries at one. I didn't need a visa, so that issue didn't come up.

You need to make enquiries with the authorities in both countries, but you may find it's a legal loophole. Nowadays, with the Internet, many people are physically located in one place while fiscally located else. It's probably not entirely legal, but it's difficult to see how to control it. And if it's only temporary (as in my case and your case) and provided you pay your taxes, it may be that, if not entirely legal, it's tolerated.

Please don't take this as gospel, as I'm only telling you what I did, not what should be done:-)

thx lia

[Edited at 2009-01-18 16:21 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:04
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Business and study Jan 19, 2009

If you work as a serious businessman [freelancer] and study at the same time, it is not very easy to be successful in both ways.
My study abroad experience told me many weak points if you work abroad without a legal permission.
Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Work as a Freelancer on a student visa (Spain)?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search