DipTrans - is it worth the candles?
Thread poster: danya

danya
Local time: 15:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 24, 2009

Those who have it - could you please share if it helped your career/business?
Those who have not - have you thought of obtaining it or perhaps you have a solid proof that it's a qialification that makes a whole world of a difference for a translator.

The 2009 fees for the whole set are almost J500 plus the local invigilaton fee of J240+

TIA

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:36
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Related topic Aug 25, 2009

I just thought you might want to have a look at this related topic going on these days: http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/143534-need_your_opinion_about_ata_vs_iol_certification.html

Cheers!

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:36
German to English
Objective assessment of skills Aug 25, 2009

I took the DipTrans before I started translating professionally, so I have no way of telling whether it helped me to acquire clients and become established - since then I have always had plenty of work, but I don't know whether having the DipTrans to my name plays any part in that.

However, I'm extremely glad that I did it. I found it very helpful in that it provided an objective assessment of my skills - so that when I passed I could be confident that I was good enough to offer my services alongside other professional translators. Without some sort of objective assessment it can be difficult to know at what point you are good enough to make that transition from being simply someone who is good at languages to being someone who has all the skills and competences that go to make a good translator. Even if you've been translating for years, you may have got set in ways that aren't as good as they might be. In preparing for the exams I picked up all sorts of useful ideas about translating and about the business aspects of translating which have stood me in good stead, and without the exam I think I would have lacked confidence about whether I was "good enough" to launch into translating as a career.

It's a bit like driving a car - most people think they can do it and are good at it, but if everyone had to take a driving test again some people would be found to be not as good as they think they are. I think the DipTrans can be useful both in alerting people who think they're good to the fact that perhaps they do need to improve in some areas, and in reassuring people who aren't sure that they're good that actually they can launch out into the deep. Either way, it provides that second objective opinion which can only be a good thing.

danya
Local time: 15:36
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you guys for your feedback Aug 25, 2009

My situation is a bit different - I have a degree in languages (an equivalent of MA) and a dozen years of experience, including several years in-house. I thought that perhaps I could reinforce my position in the labour market in these lean years by adding an extra stripe on my sleeve.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DipTrans - is it worth the candles?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search