Thread poster: Julio Ferrandis

Julio Ferrandis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 12, 2010

Hello everyone

The other day I was asked if I was a certified translator for financial documents so you can put your stamp. I am afraid I did not know what they meant by that. As far as I know, sworn translators are they ones who are "certified by the government" and can put a stamp. But I did not know there exist this also for financial translations.

Anyone knows something about it?

By the way my target language is Spanish (from Spain).

Many thanks

Julio

Direct link Reply with quote

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:16
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sworn translator Feb 12, 2010

As far as I know the U.K. does not require a translator to be certified/sworn for documents such as birth certificates and marriage certificates.

In Spain, according to what I hear, you absolutely must be certified/sworn by the Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores. However, I really do wonder if a well-qualified translator can put his own stamp and signature on his translation and be accepted by the Spanish government. This is the situation in a couple of U.S. states, such as California. As I understand it, they have their own certification program but will accept a sworn translation from a well-qualified translator.

Jorge Luis Yong
Cuba
Local time: 10:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Certified financial translator Feb 12, 2010

I don't know if the term certified financial translator exists, as most people are certified as translator who can be specialized in different fields. But the term "certified translator" means that you receive a certificate by an institution (USA or Canada) as a translator which means you can be :
a) sworn translator in Spain
b) traductor certificado in Mexico
c) traductor matriculado en Argentina
So it depends on the country you are using the term. Anyhow what you are asking is a person who has a certificate to translate and is specialized in Finances.
As far as I know only institutions can stamp their translations.

Ronald van der Linden
Mexico
Local time: 09:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
apostile stamp? Feb 12, 2010

I think what they meant was asking you whether you are a sworn/court translator or not.
Problably some annual statements needed to be deposited/put on file or whatever other reason and a translation without a apostile stamp is not accepted.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:16
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Any document can be certified Feb 12, 2010

including, for instance, audit reports.

If the document is to be presented in Spain, they'd need the stamp of a "jurado". (Not just anyone can sign, as MAE authentication may be called for -- this happens before the apostille). If in Britain, I'm informed a notary process is sufficient.

I resolve this by working with sworn translators. Many of them ask me to do the inverse for them, anyway. So when I need a stamp, I just outsource revision and stamping.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Julio Ferrandis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Feb 13, 2010

Many thanks to everyone for answering. I know how sworn translations work, but in this instance it was for a financial document. Maybe the client confused a legal with financial translation because none of my colleagues in the translation industry knows about a special stamp used for financial translations, only for legal.

Many thanks for your time!

Julio

Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
What your client is asking for is a sworn translator Feb 13, 2010

It is not just legal translations that can be sworn.

If the client has to present translated annual accounts and/or annual report before the Registro Mercantil or any other authority in Spain, said documents will not be accepted unless they are certifired by a sworn translation.

The same applies to academic transcripts, medical certificates, legal documents and so on and so forth.

The stamp that sworn translators hold is not legal or financial in nature, simply an official stamp for sworn translations.

Hope this clarifies,
Myriam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

certified financial translator?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search