https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/181702-what_can_i_do_with_a_liberal_arts_ba_and_online.html

What can I do with a liberal arts BA, and Online
Thread poster: mosalu1
Sep 30, 2010

I have a Liberal Arts BA and want to pursue translation. I have intermediate level French, Italian, and some Portuguese.

What kind of program should I be looking for? A second BA in a language? In translation studies? A graduate program or certificate in any of these?

Also, I am limited to online study right now because of illness. If I can't find an appropriate program online, what would be a second-choice program to do while I am recovering? I want to ke
... See more
I have a Liberal Arts BA and want to pursue translation. I have intermediate level French, Italian, and some Portuguese.

What kind of program should I be looking for? A second BA in a language? In translation studies? A graduate program or certificate in any of these?

Also, I am limited to online study right now because of illness. If I can't find an appropriate program online, what would be a second-choice program to do while I am recovering? I want to keep doing something that will eventually help me in my goals.

Thank you very much.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Welcome, mosalu1 Sep 30, 2010

"Translation Studies" might not be what you really want, as these are studies ABOUT translation that usually interest professionals in the field.

Maybe you could tell us a bit more about your future plans, for example, whether you intend to pursue translation as an activity (I'm afraid "intermediate" would fall short of professional expectations) so as to help us assess what you need.

mosalu1
mosalu1
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 3, 2010

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I would like to pursue translation - general or literary translation rather than technical translation. At this point, because of long-term illness I'm limited to work that I can do from my home computer rather than a regular "day job", although my health may improve by the time I finish any education and I may be able to do a more traditional job later on.
Right now my concern is in finding appropriate education or preparation that I can access online.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
For starters... Oct 3, 2010

While I'm not personally acquainted with the NYU programs, they have acquired quite a reputation and are known to have online offers. Why don't you study their website for starters?

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/areas-of-study/foreign-languages/continuing-education/placement.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can I do with a liberal arts BA, and Online

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »