NYU online translation certificate admissions exam
Thread poster: jenbikkal (X)

jenbikkal (X)

Local time: 19:16
French to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2011

Hi everyone!

I am getting ready to take the admissions test for the NYU French/English Certificate and was wondering if any of you out there have done it recently.

If so, could you please share your feedback? What was the essay about?

How long does the essay need to be? I know that the translation is 300 words.

Thank you,
-Jen

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A previous discussion Jan 10, 2011

Hi! I found this previous discussion. I hope it is useful!
http://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/79082-nyu_translation_program_how_difficult_is_the_exam.html

And this other forum might be useful:
http://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/37533-nyu_vs_toronto_certification_programs.html#268797

[Editado a las 2011-01-10 07:00 GMT]

jenbikkal (X)

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 10, 2011

Thanks for sending out these links. I actually read though those discussions, but was hoping for some more recent testimonials.

[Edited at 2011-01-10 15:37 GMT]

Gene Brode (X)
United States
Spanish to English
Did you take the test or find out more info on this yet? Mar 28, 2011

I spoke to the foreign language dept at NYU today and got some basic info on the online cert program. They didn't give me much more info than the fact that I have to test via email. What did you find in regard to this? I noticed on your profile that you are enrolled...how are the courses so far? Are they in Spanish or English? I was hoping they'd be in the source language (Spanish for me).

jenbikkal (X)

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NYU Test info Mar 29, 2011

Hi Gene,

Yes, I did end up taking the test. I took the Fr>Eng admissions test which consisted of of a short translation Fr>Eng of about 300 words and an essay of about 150-250 words. Both exercises must be completed in 1h45mn. I found out about this before I took the test and trained myself to translate a random 300 word passage and write an essay in the alloted time since I have very little translation experience. I think this helped since I did pass on my first try.

Once you pass the admissions exam you are admissible to take the 'intro to translation' course. You must get at least a B in this course to be eligible to sign up for any of the other courses. This is basically the only pre-requisite to all of the other courses. The class itself is in English.

I am really excited about the program and am enjoying the class. I definitely feel as though I am getting a lot out of it.

Hope this helps.
-Jen

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good luck! Mar 29, 2011

jenbikkal wrote:
Yes, I did end up taking the test. I took the Fr>Eng admissions test which consisted of of a short translation Fr>Eng of about 300 words and an essay of about 150-250 words. Both exercises must be completed in 1h45mn. I found out about this before I took the test and trained myself to translate a random 300 word passage and write an essay in the alloted time since I have very little translation experience. I think this helped since I did pass on my first try.

Congrats! And welcome!icon_smile.gif

pazyclaridad
United States
Arabic to English
bump Feb 10, 2012

bumping this thread

anyone have some recent experience with this test? I'm planning on taking it as well, thank you!

pazyclaridad
United States
Arabic to English
took it Jun 14, 2012

I took the exam, it wasn't too bad. Not really anyway to prepare . Maybe practice translating

Kelly Neudorfer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
NYU admissions exam Jul 9, 2012

I took the German-English one about 2 years ago (I'm finishing up my certification as we speak). I didn't find it bad at all. They don't give you a score, so I don't know how well I did, but if you can translate a general passage without too much difficulty, then I wouldn't worry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NYU online translation certificate admissions exam

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search