NAATI accreditation for emmigration purposes
Thread poster: Stephania125

Stephania125
Local time: 11:32
Japanese to English
Mar 27, 2011

Dear all,

I feel like I got stuck in a rut and don't know what to do. I would really like to have your advice.

I am a qualified and experienced translator. I would like to emmigrate to Australia and for this reason I was thinking of taking a course in the country rather than sitting for the NAATI exam because I heard 1) it is very difficult to pass, and 2) it is very expensive.

My final goal is to obtain a permanent GSM (General Skilled Migration) visa.

Having a look at someone else's post on this website, I have learned I will have to prove that I have worked as a full time translator for the last 18 months before the application of the visa. I thought I could apply for it immediately after I successfully complete a course, so I was totally wrong.

Could anyone please tell me your experience or any information about this matter? Was I really wrong?

I am not so young, so if I need to spend some time on job hunting and working for 18 months, I will not be able to make it. If that is the case, I don't want to give it up, but perhaps it would be better if I did now.

My initial plan was to start taking a course this summer and apply for the visa by the end of next year. If I need to give up this plan, what options do I have?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Stephania

Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:32
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
no translators Mar 27, 2011

Hi there,

DIAC stopped accepting applications from translators and interpreters two years ago.
You can check this list of occupations in demand in Australia:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf
If you want to immigrate, you should get a degree in Finance, Education etc.

Stephania125
Local time: 11:32
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I feel like I have reached a dead end. Mar 29, 2011

Hi Vanda,

Thank you for your information.

So if they stopped accepting applications from translators and interpreters, there is no point in taking a course in Australia this summer. I will definitely have to look for other options.

I will be happy to take a one or two year course (shorter the better) in any place IF it leads to a permanent visa, but where should I go?

I would like to work in an English spoken country. Is there any country I could live and work as a translator? Am I asking the impossible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NAATI accreditation for emmigration purposes

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search