Totally new to TRADOS: Reccomended tutorials?
Thread poster: GerardoCáceres

GerardoCáceres
Local time: 21:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 5, 2011

Hello everyone,

thisTis my first time posting as I've actually only recently signed up to PROZ.
Now, in my country I've been translating for a few years now, so as far as research, the economic aspect and terminology I think I'm OK, although one does learn with every project one takes on. Now, I've been approaching my translations in a really "old school" way, relying mainly on the speed of my typing and my resourcefulness for research. However, I've been looking into streamlining my process, and to this end I wanted to purchase a CAT software that would cut down on my time per project.
Looking around the forums, and also by talking with some people I've met through my interpretation jobs, I think TRADOS is the most commonly used one and I will purchase it very soon. but so as to not having it laying around like that treadmill I once bought, I want to learn how to use it from scratch.
In the SDL website it quotes some courses which are $250 each, and I think that by being a PROZ member you can get them for less, but could anyone offer some input on them? Are they worth my while? Or is there another (paid, of course) tutorial than anyone could recommend for a complete and utter TRADOS beginner?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Charlie Castle

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:23
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian, maybe? Dec 5, 2011

Do you read Russian? Some tutorials for SDL Trados Studio 2009/2011 are available here: http://www.tra-service.ru/tutorials.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:23
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
SDL webinars on Proz Dec 5, 2011

Hi Charlie, and welcome to ProZ.
You're just in time to sign up for this free webinar on Thursday
http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/5632-free_webinar_how_to_make_the_most_of_the_new_sdl_trados_studio_2011

SDL also has lots of basic webinars on Studio on its website:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/resources/downloads/webinar-recordings/default.asp

I'd sign up for a paid webinar once you've bought the software and are ready to practise with it. You'll get a lot out of the 3-hr webinars offered here on Proz if you're willing to practise. You'll soon be up and running if you set aside a couple of days to give it some serious time (not using it for real jobs with real deadlines). In a week's time you'll wonder what you were so worried about!
Good luck!

GerardoCáceres
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Now another question... Dec 5, 2011

Thank you so much for the tips, esperantisto and Emma. Unfortunately, esperantisto, I do not speak Russian, but thanks a lot for the recommendation.
Now, the webinar looks interesting and I would like to sign up for it, although I do have one question that I don't know if either one of you could clear up for me.
Looking through the products, I've noticed that Trados comes in "Studio" and "Freelance". What is the main difference/s between the two? Does one contain more features than the other one? Or is Studio really only a version that can be installed in multiple computers? More to the point, if I learn how to use the "Studio" version, are those skills translatable (no pun intended) to the "Freelance" one?
I am a freelance translator/transcriber/interpreter, so I was thinking about the Freelance version seeing as I would be the only one to use it and only really need the one license. What would you suggest?
Again, thanks a million for your previous answers, and if you want to chime in on this last query, please chime away!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Studio versions Dec 6, 2011

Studio 2011 comes in 3 versions: Professional, Freelance and Starter. As you're a freelance translator, then that's the version you need.
You can check out the version comparison here:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-starter/#tab2
If you want to run it on more than one computer (e.g. desktop and laptop) for your own personal use, then you can get a "Freelance plus" version that lets you do this.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Another source... Dec 6, 2011

... on www.youtube.com/sdltrados

GerardoCáceres
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 6, 2011

Thank you Emma, Stanislav and esperantisto. You've really helped clear that up!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Totally new to TRADOS: Reccomended tutorials?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search