https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/225149-going_back_to_school.html

Going back to school
Thread poster: Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 18, 2012

For those who are students, finished a translation certification program, or involved with education for translators, I am looking for some advice.
I am looking for a certificate program for English-Spanish translation.
I need help deciding which one. I would like something not very long and with reasonable tuition fees.

There is a local Community College that has a program but I know first hand it is very basic.

I would like a not very expensive but demand
... See more
For those who are students, finished a translation certification program, or involved with education for translators, I am looking for some advice.
I am looking for a certificate program for English-Spanish translation.
I need help deciding which one. I would like something not very long and with reasonable tuition fees.

There is a local Community College that has a program but I know first hand it is very basic.

I would like a not very expensive but demanding online program where I can learn. If the program is here, in the US, perhaps I could get financial assistance.
Where is the best place to look? What are the most important points I should consider?

Any recommendations?

For example, this one looks good.

What are the most important points to decide?

I am doing research but maybe I can get some ideas from the more experienced …

Thank you very much for any help!
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:00
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
what do you need / want? May 19, 2012

Do you want an industry recognised piece of paper that says you are an excellent translator (and I'm not sure many diplomas do that, or many people ask for such papers when they want to have something translated)

Or do you do want to improve your translation skills
(in which case there are probably some specialst training courses in your area)

?

Unfortunately you are competing in an extremely competitive market and there will always be somebody who wi
... See more
Do you want an industry recognised piece of paper that says you are an excellent translator (and I'm not sure many diplomas do that, or many people ask for such papers when they want to have something translated)

Or do you do want to improve your translation skills
(in which case there are probably some specialst training courses in your area)

?

Unfortunately you are competing in an extremely competitive market and there will always be somebody who will accept the job at half your rates...

In my opinion knowledge comes with experience and feedback from happy clients would /could impress potential clients ... Showing your diploma just says you attended school,....

===

my 2 ct
Ed
Collapse

Javier Wasserzug
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes and no May 19, 2012

Thank you, Edward.
Yes, I know all that.

And no, there is not much in my area...

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
New York University On-line Translation Certificate Program May 19, 2012

Javier,

(The link you included in your post does not work.)

To answer your question, the New York University has an on-line Translation Certificate Program. I believe you would need 7 courses (at about US$695/course) to get your certificate.

I have read excellent comments regarding that program from former students. Looks like a very thorough program, with introduction to Eng>Spa translation, then specialized courses on legal, business, medical, technical
... See more
Javier,

(The link you included in your post does not work.)

To answer your question, the New York University has an on-line Translation Certificate Program. I believe you would need 7 courses (at about US$695/course) to get your certificate.

I have read excellent comments regarding that program from former students. Looks like a very thorough program, with introduction to Eng>Spa translation, then specialized courses on legal, business, medical, technical Eng>Spa translation, etc., and they even offer internships.

And, for other people who may be interested, they offer the same courses for several other languages: Arabic, French, Portuguese and German.

Here is the link:
http://www.scps.nyu.edu/areas-of-study/foreign-languages/professional-certificates/translation.html

Good luck,

Miguel

[Edited at 2012-05-19 22:39 GMT]
Collapse

Javier Wasserzug
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the LINK May 19, 2012

Thank you, Miguel.

Professional Certificate in Translation and Interpretation (Spanish/English)

http://extension.ucsd.edu/Programs/index.cfm?vAction=certDetail&vCertificateID=83&vStudyAreaId=11

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Translation Certificate in both directions: Eng>Spa and Spa>English? May 20, 2012

Javier Wasserzug wrote:

Thank you, Miguel.

Professional Certificate in Translation and Interpretation (Spanish/English)

http://extension.ucsd.edu/Programs/index.cfm?vAction=certDetail&vCertificateID=83&vStudyAreaId=11

Javier,

The problem I see with the San Diego University's translation program is that it is for bilingual people and the translation courses go in both directions Eng>Spa and Spa>Eng.

Would you be interested in that kind of approach?

If I took translation courses, it would be definitely only from my source language (English) into my mother language (Spanish), simply because Spanish is clearly my dominant language.

I have no idea how strong your English is, but unless it is nearly as good as your Spanish, it will be a waste of effort, effort that otherwise would be best used in just Eng>Spa studies.

The University of New York program goes in just one direction per curriculum (either Eng>Spa or Spa>Eng), i.e., if you want to go in the opposite direction, that is another set of courses leading to another certificate. Studies are more concentrated.

My humble opinion.

Miguel

Javier Wasserzug
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fantastic! May 20, 2012

Miguel, thank you so much again!! That is the kind of advise I was hoping to get...

No, of course. I has certainly to be EN->SP.

Anyway, I can’t help but to wonder... how many people can really claim effectively that kind of dual expertise?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going back to school

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »