Dissertation research volunteers? (Sp_En)
Thread poster: Gemma Bouchereau (X)
Gemma Bouchereau (X)
Gemma Bouchereau (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2013

Hello,

Wasn't sure which topic this post would come under but I thought that 'off-topic' would be the safest bet.

I'm looking for volunteer Spanish to (British) English translators for my MA dissertation research project. My project is on the differences between human translation and MT (title in progress!) and I need 5 volunteers to translate three 300 word texts each.

Each of these STs is from a different genre of writing; so far I have only decided on
... See more
Hello,

Wasn't sure which topic this post would come under but I thought that 'off-topic' would be the safest bet.

I'm looking for volunteer Spanish to (British) English translators for my MA dissertation research project. My project is on the differences between human translation and MT (title in progress!) and I need 5 volunteers to translate three 300 word texts each.

Each of these STs is from a different genre of writing; so far I have only decided on two genres (literary and journalistic) and am in the process of finding a third text. The texts are fairly straightforward but the key point is that they must be translated without the use of:

- Any TM or TM tool
- Any electronic or online dictionaries (i.e. wordreference or Google)
- Any paper dictionaries (where possible, I don't expect you to necessarily know the meaning of every single word you encounter)

The dissertation isn't due in until August and the texts do not need to be translated for at least another month, probably longer, and I'm not expecting all 3 texts to be translated in a day (1 a week would be fine).

This is a work in progress and I'm only in the initial stages of drawing up my plan at the moment so I apologise if the information above seems vague or confusing, bear with me!

If you're interested please send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you in advance to anyone who volunteers, your help will be much appreciated and you will receive an acknowledgement in my dissertation!
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:03
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't mind helping you with that Gemma Apr 12, 2013

it sounds like an interesting subject. You can get in touch with me privately if you like.

673286 (X)
673286 (X)

Local time: 20:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Wishing to participate Apr 13, 2013

Please accept me into your project.

[Edited at 2013-04-13 11:20 GMT]

Gemma Bouchereau (X)
Gemma Bouchereau (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 13, 2013

Thank you both for volunteering! I really appreciate it.

fromBishkek - Unfortunately I only require Spanish to English translators who have English as their mother tongue. I really do appreciate the offer though and I wish I was able to take you up on it.

Thank you too Marie-Helene. I'll keep you posted with helpful information and we can get this show on the road =)

If either of you know of any other Spanish-English (preferably native English) translators
... See more
Thank you both for volunteering! I really appreciate it.

fromBishkek - Unfortunately I only require Spanish to English translators who have English as their mother tongue. I really do appreciate the offer though and I wish I was able to take you up on it.

Thank you too Marie-Helene. I'll keep you posted with helpful information and we can get this show on the road =)

If either of you know of any other Spanish-English (preferably native English) translators I would really appreciate if you could pass the message on and see if they're interested =)

Thanks again!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dissertation research volunteers? (Sp_En)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »