Anybody doing diptrans French to English?
Thread poster: roxyD
roxyD
roxyD
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:58
French to English
May 23, 2013

Hi guys, just wondered if anybody out there is studying to do a dip trans at the IOL in French to English? If so, it'd be good to hear from you! I've just started a prep. course and hope to take all 3 modules (Phew!) in January 2014. It can be somewhat isolated and lonesome doing a distance learning course when you are used to peer interactions, so it'd be great to compare notes, offer mutual advice etc.
Hope to hear from you!

Maria Perry
Maria Perry  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
Order past exams May 24, 2013

Don´t forget to order past exams and examinators reports from the IOL!

roxyD
roxyD
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Personne?!! Jun 2, 2013

Is there NOBODY out there doing the IOL French to English dip trans? Am I stuck in a wilderness of thousands of members - all alone?!!!

Lynne Hempton
Lynne Hempton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Italian, not French, still might be useful? Jun 19, 2013

Hi Roxy!
I'm preparing for the DipTrans in Italian, although I translate French as well.
Maybe we could compare texts / review translations for each other? It would be really useful to have another persons insight!

Lynne

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:58
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Possibly! Jun 20, 2013

Hi Roxy,

I'm planning to do it myself, in all three modules, but at present I'm not sure whether it will be Swedish-English or French-English (probably the latter, as they don't ever seem to get enough candidates in Swedish these days).

I'm also not sure where I will be doing it. I was hoping to go to the British Council in Copenhagen, but have just had an email to say that they don't offer this facility, so it's either a long trek to Stockholm or alternatively flying
... See more
Hi Roxy,

I'm planning to do it myself, in all three modules, but at present I'm not sure whether it will be Swedish-English or French-English (probably the latter, as they don't ever seem to get enough candidates in Swedish these days).

I'm also not sure where I will be doing it. I was hoping to go to the British Council in Copenhagen, but have just had an email to say that they don't offer this facility, so it's either a long trek to Stockholm or alternatively flying to London with a huge number of dictionaries in my luggage. So I haven't even been able to register yet, and not sure I will do it after all!

I'd be interested to hear how your prep course goes, though, as I'm not intending to do one.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Minority Languages Jun 20, 2013

JaneD wrote:

Hi Roxy,

I'm also not sure where I will be doing it. I was hoping to go to the British Council in Copenhagen, but have just had an email to say that they don't offer this facility, so it's either a long trek to Stockholm or alternatively flying to London with a huge number of dictionaries in my luggage. So I haven't even been able to register yet, and not sure I will do it after all!

I'd be interested to hear how your prep course goes, though, as I'm not intending to do one.

Having read their most recent info, I believe that if you're willing to shell out (£££) they will run the examination for "exotic" languages even if the numbers would have been traditionally insufficient.

They say this:
Small Language Entry
There must be a minimum number of Candidates registered for an
examination to run. Should this minimum number not be reached by the end
of the registration period, IoLET will inform Candidates who are registered and
have paid fees of the options available to them, which may include the option
of paying a supplementary fee for the exam to be set.

....which makes it sound like that if you are willing to cough up the money, they will set the exam regardless.

If you end up going down this route, let me know how it goes because I'd also like to do it in the near-ish future for HE-EN.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:58
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another option Jun 21, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Having read their most recent info, I believe that if you're willing to shell out (£££) they will run the examination for "exotic" languages even if the numbers would have been traditionally insufficient.

They say this:
Small Language Entry
There must be a minimum number of Candidates registered for an
examination to run. Should this minimum number not be reached by the end
of the registration period, IoLET will inform Candidates who are registered and
have paid fees of the options available to them, which may include the option
of paying a supplementary fee for the exam to be set.

....which makes it sound like that if you are willing to cough up the money, they will set the exam regardless.

If you end up going down this route, let me know how it goes because I'd also like to do it in the near-ish future for HE-EN.

Yes, you're absolutely right, Ty - but in my case as I've got two language pairs, I'm just going to register for Swedish-English and then state that if the SV-EN doesn't run I'll change to French-English. I checked with the IOL and this is allowed. Of course I could simply register for FR-EN from the start, but I'd rather get the certification in SV-EN if possible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody doing diptrans French to English?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »