https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/27929-help%3A_choice_about_translation_courses_and_schools.html

HELP: Choice about Translation Courses and Schools
Thread poster: Jaime Rodríguez
Jaime Rodríguez
Jaime Rodríguez
Spanish to Polish
+ ...
Dec 29, 2004

Please, I am looking for advice about which course I should take for my first training in Translation English-Spanish-English since I am very interested in doing it for a living. Currently I am considering regarding distance learning the following ones:
-Diploma in Translation Course (English-Spanish-English) / “Estudio Internacional Sampere – Escuela de Traductores”
-General Translation Course (English-Spanish) / “International House Barcelona”
-Professional Translat
... See more
Please, I am looking for advice about which course I should take for my first training in Translation English-Spanish-English since I am very interested in doing it for a living. Currently I am considering regarding distance learning the following ones:
-Diploma in Translation Course (English-Spanish-English) / “Estudio Internacional Sampere – Escuela de Traductores”
-General Translation Course (English-Spanish) / “International House Barcelona”
-Professional Translation Course (English-Spanish-English) / “F.I.D.E.S.C.U” (“Fundación para la Investigación y Desarrollo de la Cultura Española”)
Thanks a lot in advance and greetings.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just curious Dec 29, 2004

These are all private academies. Have you ruled out a recognised degree-granting institution?

Bernadette Mora
Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Recognised degree-granting institution Dec 29, 2004

Hello

I agree with Parrot. Those you are indicating are completely private. This link http://antalya.uab.es/edfc/castellano/c_m_2903.asp

is from UAB (Autonomous University of Barcelona). There you can find postgraduate's courses that can surely meet your expectations.
I did a postgraduate in Legal English for this University and my experience is very good
... See more
Hello

I agree with Parrot. Those you are indicating are completely private. This link http://antalya.uab.es/edfc/castellano/c_m_2903.asp

is from UAB (Autonomous University of Barcelona). There you can find postgraduate's courses that can surely meet your expectations.
I did a postgraduate in Legal English for this University and my experience is very good. I'd recommend it to you.
Hope this will be useful.
BR

Bernadette
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
IH courses Dec 29, 2004

You mentioned two courses from IH.

The general course is just an introduction to translation, and does not lead to any recognised qualification.

The Diploma course is a preparation for the Institute of Linguists' (UK) professional examination (IOL Diploma). It is NOT a qualification in itself, just a course helping you prepare for the exam, which is widely recognised in the EN speaking world.

Although the IOL does accredit languages other than EN, as a nati
... See more
You mentioned two courses from IH.

The general course is just an introduction to translation, and does not lead to any recognised qualification.

The Diploma course is a preparation for the Institute of Linguists' (UK) professional examination (IOL Diploma). It is NOT a qualification in itself, just a course helping you prepare for the exam, which is widely recognised in the EN speaking world.

Although the IOL does accredit languages other than EN, as a native ES speaker, you should investigate options in ES, which are mostly degrees.

Suerte:-)
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Go to the UK or Ireland Dec 29, 2004

I would go to the UK and try to get into a good full-time, regular translation school program. I'll tell you why: the most important thing in being a good translator is to be able to absorb discourse. Not only do you have to know the grammar and style but you have to know various discourses. There's nothing like being in-country to do that.

Good luck to you.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Let's get a few things straight Dec 30, 2004

If you have the time to spare and the will for it, anyway, go for a recognised degree (if you're already a graduate, get a Master's/postgrad). Why? Because you'll find official recognition is easier to present as a qualification. It goes further.

If you mean to study translation per se, best to get it in the country of mother language. If you mean to study inverse translation, proficiency, get a feel of discourse at source, or undergo immersion training, go an institution in the cou
... See more
If you have the time to spare and the will for it, anyway, go for a recognised degree (if you're already a graduate, get a Master's/postgrad). Why? Because you'll find official recognition is easier to present as a qualification. It goes further.

If you mean to study translation per se, best to get it in the country of mother language. If you mean to study inverse translation, proficiency, get a feel of discourse at source, or undergo immersion training, go an institution in the country of source. All these training types are valid and useful in the translation field.

Translation training doesn't stop with a diploma, anyway. It's not a question of learning two facts and getting started. The form of training that will be the best for you will depend on the stage of life you're in - you'd know best how to determine that. For one thing, what we learned on the job isn't covered by any course curriculum. And we all keep recycling ourselves. (I've gone back to school for passive fourth-language proficiency this term). Every once in awhile we go back to our source language countries to refresh, even if it's only for holidays. And there are those who go ever deeper into the study of target... so if it seemed to you that someone packaged all that neatly into a single bundle, you're risking a disappointment. So as to avoid that, it will help for you to formulate your targets.

All the best!
Collapse

Jaime Rodríguez
Jaime Rodríguez
Spanish to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your advices Jan 14, 2005

Thanks to all of you for giving me your contributions since I really found them very helpful. However I am still considering several options regarding translation studies, most of them meant for an University Diploma or Postgraduate through a distance learning program as those from Deusto University or UVA (Universidad de Valladolid) to mention which called more my attention after a long search on the web. Besides I am planning to go to Ireland to get involved to the maximum in this exciting cha... See more
Thanks to all of you for giving me your contributions since I really found them very helpful. However I am still considering several options regarding translation studies, most of them meant for an University Diploma or Postgraduate through a distance learning program as those from Deusto University or UVA (Universidad de Valladolid) to mention which called more my attention after a long search on the web. Besides I am planning to go to Ireland to get involved to the maximum in this exciting challenge; even I should try to attend official studies at Dublin University.
Thanks again and if you post new comments, advices or contributions about, they would be certainly very welcome.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP: Choice about Translation Courses and Schools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »