Experience of mentoring?
Thread poster: Robin Joensuu

Robin Joensuu  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:23
English to Swedish
Oct 18, 2015

I stumbled upon the mentoring program here on Proz.com and got intrigued. They say that the best way to really learn something is to teach it to someone else. And besides, things have started to work out pretty neat for me, so the least I can do is to give something back.

Does anyone have experience of mentoring? How was it?

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
At Proz level, this belongs on the special P forum Oct 18, 2015

If you mean mentoring on Proz, you should really post your questions on the special hidden forum closed to all except P members. All others are banned from responding to mentoring requests. There is a note telling those of us who aren't P'eed we are not qualified to mentor: You are not eligible to respond to a mentoring offer.

KirstenL
Norway
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
A pity ..... Oct 18, 2015

writeaway wrote:

If you mean mentoring on Proz, you should really post your questions on the special hidden forum closed to all except P members. All others are banned from responding to mentoring requests. There is a note telling those of us who aren't P'eed we are not qualified to mentor: You are not eligible to respond to a mentoring offer.

What a pity that non-members cannot be mentored.....
I see that you are a PARTIAL member. What does that actually mean?

Kirsten

Germany
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Why not here? Oct 18, 2015

writeaway wrote:

Hm, I didn't think about that. But why shouldn't I ask the question here? This might be something of value to others as well, e.g. people who might want mentors and people who have thought about it but have not yet applied to be a part of the Pro network.

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Of course you can ask here Oct 19, 2015

Robin Joensuu wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Hm, I didn't think about that. But why shouldn't I ask the question here? This might be something of value to others as well, e.g. people who might want mentors and people who have thought about it but have not yet applied to be a part of the Pro network.

It's just that if you want to hear about people's experience in mentoring on Proz, only your P colleagues will be able to reply. The rest of us are automatically disqualified by Proz from being mentors.

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Member (Apr 2018)
French to English
no P Oct 19, 2015

but I have mentored in a non-proz context.

When the person you mentor is a good learner, it can be a highly satisfying experience. They ask interesting questions and sometimes you have to step back and think and even admit that they are right and you were wrong. You watch them unfold their wings and grow confidence. It's great to help someone like that, you're paying forward for the breaks you were given when in their shoes.

And even when you end up with the worst, someone who stumbled into a language degree because they were too hopeless at anything else, well... mine could at least make a decent cup of tea and she taught me some modern slang, who knows it might come in useful in a translation one day.

Germany
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
:o) Oct 19, 2015

mine could at least make a decent cup of tea and she taught me some modern slang, who knows it might come in useful in a translation one day.

Ha, that is funny! Thank you.

[Edited at 2015-10-19 15:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience of mentoring?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search