Elena Sudareva
Elena Sudareva  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 25, 2015

Hi all!

I need a hand with getting prepared for the DipTrans exam. I have already passed two units, so this year I have decided to get prepared on my own. Therefore, I have no tutor whom I could ask this question. I hope someone here can help me.
I am going to translate into Russian and I am not quite clear as to how we can transcript foreign names at the exam without having access to the internet. I, obviously, can't remember the transcription rules of all the languages and c
... See more
Hi all!

I need a hand with getting prepared for the DipTrans exam. I have already passed two units, so this year I have decided to get prepared on my own. Therefore, I have no tutor whom I could ask this question. I hope someone here can help me.
I am going to translate into Russian and I am not quite clear as to how we can transcript foreign names at the exam without having access to the internet. I, obviously, can't remember the transcription rules of all the languages and can't even print them all and bring along. In the source texts we might find a Norwegian, an Italian, a French name, they all use latin letters, but they all obey totally different pronunciation rules, and I will need to transcript them into Russian. How are we supposed to deal with that?

I would greatly appreciate any piece of advice.

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcribing foreign names at the DipTrans exam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »