Feasibility of getting certified SP--EN if training is in EN--SP?
Thread poster: vargdel
vargdel
Mexico
Aug 17, 2016

Hi all,

(apologies if this has been answered. I couldn't find easily).

I am thinking about doing a certificate program in Mexico City, English--Spanish. However, I'm a native English speaker and would eventually prefer to translate into English.

How feasible is it to pass the ATA Spanish--English exam, if my training is English into Spanish? Ideally I would get certified in both.

Thanks so much.

-Andrew

Direct link Reply with quote

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Aug 18, 2016

You shouldn't normally translate out of your native language unless you're extremely bilingual - and most people who do so aren't. Given that the ATA pass rate is very low, I wouldn't recommend either the certificate program or the ATA exam.

[Edited at 2016-08-18 08:46 GMT]

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:23
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good first step but... Aug 18, 2016

I think English-Spanish certification would be a good first step but I agree with Phil that for Spanish-English certification it would be better to attend a certification program in that language combination and take the ATA exam. I also agree with Phil that you should only translate both ways if you are really fluent, i.e., have lived in your second language country for a considerable length of time.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you success!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feasibility of getting certified SP--EN if training is in EN--SP?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search