MA Translation - University of Bristol. Compatible with work?
Thread poster: Alice Ma

Alice Ma
United Kingdom
Jul 8

Hi everyone,

I have applied for the "MA Translation" at the University of Bristol; however, I am also working full-time and due to my economical situation cannot afford to not work. For those who have done this MA or a similar one, do you think that it´s compatible doing both things? How many hours a week did the MA take you?

Thank you for your help,
Alice

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
See here ! Jul 9

Quote:

"The University caters extensively for part-time postgraduate students: in fact, about a third of our research students and around half of our taught masters students are part-time. Part-time options are available on the majority of our study programmes, with some courses being specifically designed with flexibility in mind, so that you can combine work and study effectively. Many part-time students are actively supported by their employers. Take a look at our postgraduate prospectus to see the range of options open to you; in the "key facts" box at the end of each entry we indicate where part-time study is available."

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/part-time/

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/2018/arts/ma-translation/

[Edited at 2018-07-09 08:41 GMT]

Francesca Ventura
United Kingdom
Member (Jan 2018)
English to Italian
+ ...
Absolutely! Jul 9

My MA in Translation Studies was at Birmingham Uni but I'm sure yours won't be much different. More than half the people on the course were working while studying part-time, some even while studying full-time. You're likely to not have lectures every day, so there should be no reason why you wouldn't be able to work. I was in three days a week and had about 12 contact hours in total (and I was doing two languages, so most people had less because they only did one).

[Edited at 2018-07-09 09:09 GMT]

Emma Page

Emma Page
United Kingdom
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
I would think so Jul 9

I recently did an MA in Translation at Lancaster Uni...although I was full-time, the folks doing it part-time certainly would have been able to hold down a job. Even as a full-time student I was able to work 20 hours per week without feeling it added to my stress.We had lectures one-two days per week, essentially only a couple of hours per week if you were part-time. The coursework was vert manageable if you planned ahead.

I'm sure you are aware that doing a degree can be stressful even part-time, it will probably take up whatever free time you do have...but if it's going to help you down the road (and mine did), there's no reason not to do it!

Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 18:38
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Depends on you Jul 9

Alice Ma wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have applied for the "MA Translation" at the University of Bristol; however, I am also working full-time and due to my economical situation cannot afford to not work. For those who have done this MA or a similar one, do you think that it´s compatible doing both things? How many hours a week did the MA take you?

Thank you for your help,
Alice

I just completed the MA in Translation at Bristol.

You know how on your undergraduate degree, there were some people who seemed to be studying all the time and still only managed to struggle out with a 2:2, and others who were never spotted at a lecture, always down the pub, and then somehow got a first?

No different here, really. Some people are faster than others. There were people on my course managing full-time jobs and children, and people with neither who felt the course was absolutely full-on.

Joe France
Kelly Neudorfer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA Translation - University of Bristol. Compatible with work?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search