Future Translation Exams
Thread poster: RobR
RobR
Local time: 09:49
Japanese to English
Aug 28, 2005

Dear All,

I recently took a translation exam (DipTrans) from the Institute of Linguists in the UK. I feel that this method of paper/pen testing is somewhat old fashioned.

What do you think the translation exams of the future will be like?

Regards

Rob

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:49
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The same exam is not paper and pen everywhere Aug 28, 2005

Hi Rob,

I did the Dip. Trans. exam in Hamburg, there were about 10 of us taking it at the time, and they fixed up a room in a college containing a dozen or so computers and a couple of printers, so we did the Dip. Trans. in very modern style there. We were allowed to print off our translations, look at them, amend them and print them off again, etc., as long as it was all done within the time limit.

Astrid

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
SATI uses correspondence exams Aug 29, 2005

RobR wrote:
What do you think the translation exams of the future will be like?

SATI (South African Translators' Institute) does their exams via post. You must type your translation but you can't simply e-mail it... it must be printed out and the invigilator must return it via snail mail. Still, it saves a lot on costs because all exams are done from a central virtual office. The downside (for young translators) is that the exams are very, very difficult.

Conor McAuley  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, same available in London Aug 29, 2005

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Hi Rob,

I did the Dip. Trans. exam in Hamburg, there were about 10 of us taking it at the time, and they fixed up a room in a college containing a dozen or so computers and a couple of printers, so we did the Dip. Trans. in very modern style there. We were allowed to print off our translations, look at them, amend them and print them off again, etc., as long as it was all done within the time limit.

Astrid

Yes, the option of sitting the DipTrans using a computer is available in London too, apparently.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
French to English
+ ...
To add to the chorus... Aug 29, 2005

The DipTrans is not purely a 'pen and paper' exam - this decision is down to individual centres, and it's worth ringing round centres to find out if they offer computer facilities for the exam. Cardiff University does, and I travelled there to take the exam rather than paying more in centre fees per paper in the nearest centre to London.

You are not allowed your own laptop in the exam; the centre provides computers, in my case a modern one with the latest version of Word. No CAT tools or internet (and I did regret not having access to Google!), but as many dictionaries, glossaries etc as you can carry. We were allowed to print our texts as many times as we liked within the time constraints of the exam.

I imagine that eventually, if enough translators are unhappy with only having pen and paper to write their scripts, and opt for centres offering computers, then more centres will start offering such facilities.

Anne McKee
French to English
Same experience Aug 29, 2005

I sat the exam in London and had the use of an up-to-date computer with XP and Windows, so I had spell-check, which I found very useful. They have quite a large number of computers but you need to get your registration in early to be sure to get the use of one. They also forward your registration documents to the Institute to make life easy for you.

So, all in all, its not bad at all. All you need is the know-how and hope that you don't fall on something you don't know or can't find in your mountain of dictionaries!!!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Future Translation Exams

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search