NYU vs toronto certification programs
Thread poster: briant
briant  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
French to English
Oct 5, 2005

I posted a similar question in respone to another thread, but I thought this was a very interesting topic. I saw an older thread that had talked about this, but it seems to have died a while ago.

I was interested in a certification program and have found at least three. NYU, University of Toronto and a place called Words Language Services all have relatively inexpensive and online programs.

I saw some MA programs in the UK, but they wereeither too expensive or their was some other problem, e.g., I would have to go to England at some point.

Anyway anyone here know anything about the three programs I mentioned and specifically how useful any of them would actually be?

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:39
Member (2007)
German to English
NYU's Certificate in Translation program Oct 8, 2005

I registered for NYU's X27.9902 Introduction to German to English Translation last week. The first assignment is due this Tuesday.

It's an online course. You have to pass a short admissions exam. There's one assignment per week for ten weeks. The course site features the usual chat and forum facilities.

Apparently they're going to try to incorporate bi-directional audio communication: they mailed me a headset with microphone to plug into my PC's sound card. This promises to be interesting.

I've completed several good online courses elsewhere. So far the NYU program looks and feels pretty solid based on that experience.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
NYU online Oct 9, 2005

Thanks for the info. I tried to call them and only got recordings, so I sent them a message--to which I received no response. I was wondering how you took the practice exam and registered for class. They won't let you register online. Did you have to go there in person?

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:39
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
online registration Oct 9, 2005

briant wrote:
They won't let you register online. Did you have to go there in person?

This page
http://www.scps.nyu.edu/departments/certificate.jsp;jsessionid=WXVWDX5AS1RKTAD0SM5SFEQ?certId=157
shows that you can do that, I think. I built my certificate but I haven't paid for any courses yet, so I don't know if by paying you are automatically registered. I hope you can, at least that should be the case for an online certificate.
Maria

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Online programs Oct 9, 2005

I went to this page

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/departments/course.jsp?courseId=55334

which states online registration is not available. It states that you need an advisor for registration, and that you need to take a placement exam (which you can take online). I also checked to see if I could buy the intro. online French to English course but it would not allow it.

It would be great if they would make it easier to register. I tried to call them the other day, but just got recorded messages to hold the line. I also sent a message (via their message system, not e-mail as it seems to be disabled) to which they didn't reply. It's probably too late to register this term anyway.

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
Keep trying Oct 10, 2005

Getting registered wasn't straight forward. I had to call several times and slowly thread my way through the process. At first I thought it was their way of finding out whether I could deal with disorganized, uncooperative clients. I concluded that it's just garden variety bureaucratic bungling.

They email you the admissions exam as a Word document at a preset time. You have an hour and fourty five minutes to complete it and mail it back. They call you if you pass.

LFAESQ
Italian to English
University of Toronto Oct 10, 2005

Does anyone know anything about the University of Toronto program? I sent an email back in April and the director responded with voicemail. Basically, you can start the program virtually at any time. It is distance-based (I think it is only online for French) and you can work at your own pace. I was told that the tutor sends you the assignments and corrects them. I was also told that there isn't room for a lot of interaction with the tutor, other than the tutor providing direct comments to your assignments that you send in via snail mail.
Does anyone have anything further? Does anyone know of any other program that includes Italian-English?

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Registration Oct 10, 2005

Rich B. wrote:

Getting registered wasn't straight forward...

Thanks for the info. They should make it easier to navigate their system; they'd probably get more business.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
toronto Oct 10, 2005

LFAESQ wrote:

Does anyone know anything about the University of Toronto program?..

I registered for the Toronto program before I figured out that it is mostly English to French. If you go to their course page here:

http://learn.utoronto.ca/uoft/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=106337

it's hard to tell. There is another page that gives some more detail here

http://learn.utoronto.ca/uoft/internationalLanguages/certificatesProfTranslation.do?method=load

They point out here that most assignments are from English into the language of your choice. I have the online coure now and this seems to be the way they are focusing it. Although there is a French to English translation assignment, the distinct majority of the work is the other way around. So I think I'll have to withdraw. However, it may be helpful if you want to translate from English into one of the many languages they offer.

As for other courses, I don't know any online ItalianEnglish courses--NYU doesn't seem to offer that pair. This site:

http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/dtdl.html

has a distance learning program, but I think it's basically a prep for the Dip Trans. They offer your choice of Italian to or from English.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
NYU Oct 11, 2005

Maria Karra wrote:

I built my certificate but I haven't paid for any courses yet, so I don't know if by paying you are automatically registered. I hope you can, at least that should be the case for an online certificate.
Maria

I got through on the phone and they told me there would be no new enrollments until around November, and they would indicate more about this on their website at about that time. I also learned there are times when you must be present online and attendance will be recorded. I was told these set times are "variable." I didn't ask much more, as the program seems to be a bit rigid for my current schedule. I hope to find out more if they do update their website.

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
office hours Oct 12, 2005

briant wrote:
...you must be present online and attendance will be recorded. ...

All of the online courses I've ever taken, with one exception, featured weekly chat sessions. They're analogous to the "office hours" that instructors maintain for students wanting to discuss course work with them outside of class. Attendance is invariably voluntary.

The instructor for the NYU course I'm taking never said anything about monitored compulsory attendance. She asked us to choose between two days abd times during which weekly sessions will be held. I'm beginning to wonder about some of the folks NYU has answering the phones; it's hard to know whom to believe.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
NYU Oct 12, 2005

Rich B. wrote:

...All of the online courses I've ever taken, with one exception, featured weekly chat sessions...

Yeah, everyone seems to have a high opinion of this program, except for the bureaucratic problems. I wish they would make their web site more useful. I even printed out their PDF brochure which was not terribly helpful either. And they still haven't responded to my message on their site.

Anyway, I had already registered for the Toronto program, which I had planned to drop as they, for the most part, have you translating into French (which I already mentioned above). I decided I may as well take this first course as translating into L2 is probably helpful practice, and I can't get into any other course at present. I'll decide whether I'll continue after I get done with this first course and get feedback. After I finish it, I can let you guys know what it was like--if you're interested.

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
I'm interested Oct 13, 2005

briant wrote:
I'll decide whether I'll continue after I get done with this first course and get feedback. After I finish it, I can let you guys know what it was like--if you're interested.

Please do. I at least am interested in reading about your experience.

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
Here's another French to English certificate program Oct 24, 2005

Check out the certificate program described at http://www.ustboniface.mb.ca/cusb/ctra/cours_an.htm. According to the site:

During each session, students may decide to take only one course at a time, or more, depending on their own personal timetable. At this pace, they could finish 27 course credits in three years, and then begin to work on their Mémoire de traduction (122.430).

This reads more like a Maters curriculum to me, but maybe it's just what you're looking for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NYU vs toronto certification programs

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search