Translation Examinations in UK
Thread poster: RobR
RobR
RobR
Local time: 06:02
Japanese to English
Nov 7, 2005

Hello everyone.

I was just querying why some centres for the Diploma in Translation offer IT facilities (with spell checks etc) and others don't. Don't you think it's unfair?

Surely centres should do either one or the other.

Your comments are most welcome on this issue.

Regards
Rob

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:02
Swedish to English
+ ...
Stockholm Exam Centre Nov 7, 2005

I sat the Dip Trans in Sweden and was informed that I was not allowed to use a computer in any circumstances as this was not done at the centre in London. This information apparently came from the IoL in London... so your question was interesting - I think I might feel a bit peeved!

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:02
English to Italian
+ ...
True Nov 7, 2005

Not all centres are able to offer IT facilities. I advise my students not to bother with computers, though, as they write in Italian and are not used to English keyboards (I, for one, use a German layout). Accents should be written with the appropriate keys, not apostrophes, for instance, and several typos do not present well. If you write by hand you don't have to worry about typos and you can use Typpex or make notes aside.

Also, a couple of years ago, the first time computers wer
... See more
Not all centres are able to offer IT facilities. I advise my students not to bother with computers, though, as they write in Italian and are not used to English keyboards (I, for one, use a German layout). Accents should be written with the appropriate keys, not apostrophes, for instance, and several typos do not present well. If you write by hand you don't have to worry about typos and you can use Typpex or make notes aside.

Also, a couple of years ago, the first time computers were allowed, I was told that printing was a real mess in one particular centre, where you had to queue to pick up your copy, thus wasting precious time. So there are some disadvantages to using IT facilities, although not all of the above may apply to your case.

Good luck

Lucia

[Edited at 2005-11-07 23:46]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
IH Barcelona Nov 7, 2005

I did the IOL Diploma at IH Barcelona, and we were allowed to use computers. Some laptops were available, or you could bring your own computer. When I did my Master's (Ireland) in 2003, no computers were allowed, even though they had a technical service and computer laboratory which could easily have been set up for examination purposes. I would say that in 2001 there was less fear/more naivety about how a computer nerd might outwit supervisors. But it should be the same conditions for the same ... See more
I did the IOL Diploma at IH Barcelona, and we were allowed to use computers. Some laptops were available, or you could bring your own computer. When I did my Master's (Ireland) in 2003, no computers were allowed, even though they had a technical service and computer laboratory which could easily have been set up for examination purposes. I would say that in 2001 there was less fear/more naivety about how a computer nerd might outwit supervisors. But it should be the same conditions for the same exam everywhere, that seems logical:-)

[Edited at 2005-11-07 21:53]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Examinations in UK

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »