Compulsory revalidation of skills by accrediting body. What do you think?
Thread poster: A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
Australia
Local time: 17:26
Feb 13, 2006

The National Accreditation Authority for Translators & Interpreters (Australia) wants to implement a points system for the periodic revalidation of accreditation.

According to NAATI’s proposal, practitioners would have to submit a log of the number of words translated/hours interpreted per year. Those who do not meet NAATI's criteria would have to re-sit the accreditation tests.

Most translators and interpreters in Australia, including myself, agree that CPD is the ro
... See more
The National Accreditation Authority for Translators & Interpreters (Australia) wants to implement a points system for the periodic revalidation of accreditation.

According to NAATI’s proposal, practitioners would have to submit a log of the number of words translated/hours interpreted per year. Those who do not meet NAATI's criteria would have to re-sit the accreditation tests.

Most translators and interpreters in Australia, including myself, agree that CPD is the role of a professional association, not NAATI.

A Revalidation Forum organised by NAATI will take place this Friday, and I’ve already completed my feedback sheet expressing my views about the whole system. But I’d be most interested to hear what my O.S. colleagues think of this and if there is a similar system in other countries, is it run by the country’s/state’s accrediting body or by the translators & interpreters professional association?

[NOTE: NAATI accreditation is only relevant to official translations and community interpreting --esp. in court-- and this represents a tiny portion of my work, so the new system wouldn't affect me. But it’s a matter of principle.]

More info on NAATI’s proposal –-

'Revalidation Of Accreditation - Second Discussion Paper on Basic Concepts and Strategies for Implementation

As part of the need to ensure currency of NAATI accreditation, NAATI has been developing a system which will require periodic revalidation of accreditation. This is in keeping with most professions within Australia.
http://www.naati.com.au/whats_new.htm#reaccreditation'

a.
translationsabh.com/blog/

[Edited at 2006-02-16 08:04]
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:26
The American Translators Association... Feb 13, 2006

... has recently implemented a similar system to ensure the continuing education of its certified members. In essence, in a period of three years, a certified member has to "collect" 20 points from various educational/professional activities.

These activities are quite varied, but also somewhat restricted. For instance, participation in ATA's conferences, seminars and annual congress are good sources of points. Courses related to the profession, taken at recognized institutions, wi
... See more
... has recently implemented a similar system to ensure the continuing education of its certified members. In essence, in a period of three years, a certified member has to "collect" 20 points from various educational/professional activities.

These activities are quite varied, but also somewhat restricted. For instance, participation in ATA's conferences, seminars and annual congress are good sources of points. Courses related to the profession, taken at recognized institutions, will also count, as will membership in other recognized translator/interpreters associations. Articles, books published, and a number of other activities count as well.

Private language classes, on the other hand, will be difficult to be accredited as continuing education, I was told, and so will be many courses/activities taken outside the United States.

While I believe in upholding continuing education requirements for many professions, some people believe that they way the ATA has it settled right now is aimed more at promoting the events it organizes, rather than ensuring updated abilities among its certified members.

From my personal point of view, complying with the requirements should be somewhat easy for someone living in the US; however, certfied members living outside the US (like myself) will have a harder time collecting the 20 points at the end of the three year period.

There was one ATA member seriously interested in widening the scope of activities that can count as continuing education. I hope the ATA will listen to his ideas, for the sake of most members, and the association's reputation.

I hope this helps you!

P.S. To be noted is that in the US there is no such thing as a "national accreditation body". The ATA is a well-known private organization that has a certification process, but in now way is membership in or certification by ATA a compulsory requirement for anyone in the US to work as a translator.

[Edited at 2006-02-13 06:01]

[Edited at 2006-02-13 14:53]
Collapse

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only 20 points, Rosa Feb 13, 2006

not 30.

Lois Feuerle
Lois Feuerle
German to English
ATA Continuing Education Requirement Feb 13, 2006

Strangely, I believe that the ATA Continuing Education Requirement does not apply once members have attained the age of 60....
Loie Feuerle
Portland, Oregon

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ditto SATI Feb 13, 2006

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:
... has recently implemented a similar system to ensure the continuing education of its certified members. In essence, in a period of three years, a certified member has to "collect" 30 points from various educational/professional activities.

SATI also called for comments about a similar system a few years ago, but it was hugely unpopular and the idea was quietly dropped.

A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
Australia
Local time: 17:26
TOPIC STARTER
Samuel, Rosa Maria, Luis and Lois, Feb 13, 2006

The info you've given me is most interesting. Thank you!

I'm looking forward to hearing more from other countries.

[Edited at 2006-02-13 12:05]

Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're right Feb 13, 2006

Lois Feuerle wrote:

Strangely, I believe that the ATA Continuing Education Requirement does not apply once members have attained the age of 60....
Loie Feuerle
Portland, Oregon

That's correct.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Only 20 Feb 13, 2006

Luis is absolutely correct. It is 20 points in a 3-year period. Sorry for the mistake!

[Edited at 2006-02-13 23:28]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compulsory revalidation of skills by accrediting body. What do you think?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »