Cross-cultural training: any good advice?
Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:03
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2006

An agency asked me to give an introduction to business people visiting my country (Belgium). I want to skim past the clichés and distil the long list of notes I compiled into a useful presentation. Since 'cross-cultural training' is a buzz-word these days, can anyone suggest decent websites for trainers? A trawl through the internet throws up many costly courses. Can anyone recommend a book or website that can help?

Direct link Reply with quote

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:03
Italian to German
+ ...
link Mar 24, 2006

Hi! Take a look at the following link.

http://www.carla.umn.edu/culture/resources/exercises.html

HTH

BW

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Cross Cultural Training Mar 24, 2006

Hi Anna,

Some key questions here:

- how much time do you have with the group?
- are they all from the same or different countries?
- are you presenting in their native language?
- what is the No 1 objective for which you were asked to do this?

I'm an intercultural trainer and would be happy to help -- but you need to clue me in a bit more, the subject and approaches are diverse!

Cheers,

Patricia

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:03
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Was given insufficient information Mar 24, 2006

Dear Patricia, thanks for your very generous offer. I am giving the presentation in English, which is the native language of these people, but I have been given virtually no information by the agency and the presentation is still months away. I immediately made the point that it is crucial to get as much information as possible but I haven't had a reply yet. I could not agree more with you about needing more information; I don't even know whether these people intend to visit the Flemish or Walloon part of Belgium, yet another important factor. When I know more, I will get in touch with you. This seems to be a big growth area at the moment so it is a useful domain to become acquainted with.

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Let me know Mar 24, 2006

when you know more, Anne (and sorry for the previous "anna" )

If you are simply making a presentation, it is a bit of a different kettle of fish than if you were asked to conduct a training.. Clarify that one too...

Email when you need a hand!

Best,

Patricia

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Anne Apr 11, 2006

This ties in with protocol and etiquette, in case you're still trawling the internet. Since I started out in the government and state translation/interpretation business, both were mandatory study areas when I was beginning. You could perhaps use these as search parameters.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cross-cultural training: any good advice?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search