Has anyone done the International House(Barcelona) translation course DipTrans IOL EN>ES
Thread poster: Ana Lozano
Ana Lozano  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 29, 2006

I am considering doing a course to prepare for the IOL Dip Trans EN>ES and I have heard about the International House in Barcelona. As it is quite a commitment, I would be interested to hear any comments people may have about the Distance learning one. Cheers!

Direct link Reply with quote

Aurélie DANIEL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
DipTrans wannabe Mar 29, 2006

I took the EN>FR DipTrans exam in International House Barcelona last January, and to prepare I signed up for a distance learning course with City University of London. After the exam I had a (well-deserved) drink with some other candidates. Some of them had prepared for the exam in International House, and they seemed pleased with the classes and the teachers.

But I think that the most important thing to do is to do your own research on what exactly are the criterias used for judging your copy for this particular exam. On the IoL website you'll find a lot of documents (not for free, though) that will help you understand what is expected.

As for my own experience with City University of London http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/dtdl.html, I was extremely pleased with the first trimester, but then for the second trimester I had a different teacher and I decided to stop.

After the exam I was totally exhausted (7 very intense hours), and if I have to resit, I just hope that it will not be for all three papers. I guess you should also know that the success rate is quite low, or so I understood talking with the other candidates. Some of them were sitting the exam for the fourth time! But then again, that's only what I heard from a few people, I never saw official figures.

Lots of luck, and greetings from Barcelona!

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
es > en Mar 29, 2006

Aurélie DANIEL wrote:

....... the success rate is quite low, or so I understood talking with the other candidates. Some of them were sitting the exam for the fourth time! But then again, that's only what I heard from a few people, I never saw official figures.

I think that's because you need to have had a fair amount of practical experience, it's not an academic qualification, it's evidence that you have attained a professional standard of translation

I did ES>En in IH BCN a few years ago, enjoyed it immensely, had a great tutor

if the ES is the same you get 8 modules based on past papers with fairly flexible deadlines fot submitting your sample translations.

I DIDN'T USE CITY for portugues because it was less flexible with deadlines

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone done the International House(Barcelona) translation course DipTrans IOL EN>ES

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search