Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
French to English
+ ...
Apr 23, 2006

Hello all,

Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of taking the E.S.I.T. entrance exams. Having passed the initial French language exam, I am now awaiting the results of the second exam in translation which will be posted on May 10.

Although I am trying to be optimistic about the test, I think it's wise to make some plans in the case that I don't pass the exam. I'm debating whether I should apply to an MA program at another university, such as the Monterrey Institute
... See more
Hello all,

Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of taking the E.S.I.T. entrance exams. Having passed the initial French language exam, I am now awaiting the results of the second exam in translation which will be posted on May 10.

Although I am trying to be optimistic about the test, I think it's wise to make some plans in the case that I don't pass the exam. I'm debating whether I should apply to an MA program at another university, such as the Monterrey Institute in California, or if I should go with a translation certificate program (preferably on-line) such as the one at NYU.

I think the NYU translation certificate program would be good because it's faster, cheaper, and I wouldn't have to move or leave my job because the program is offered online. However, I'm thinking that an MA would make more translation jobs available to me, plus I think I would enjoy the graduate school experience. I would have the time to devote myself fully to improving my translation skills, and I could take my time and not have to rush as I might have to do if I had a full time job.

My family and friends have all told me what they think I should do, but I'd like to know the opinions of other language professionals, so I'm seeking your advice on this issue.

Do you think an MA is worth the time and money, or do you think that a certificate would be good enough? Are there any among you who have gotten an MA and then later felt that you should have just gotten a certificate? or are there any certificate holders out there who think they should have gotten a Masters?

Your thoughts, please.

Thanks!
sindee21
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ours was not to question why Apr 24, 2006

sindee21 wrote:

Do you think an MA is worth the time and money, or do you think that a certificate would be good enough? Are there any among you who have gotten an MA and then later felt that you should have just gotten a certificate? or are there any certificate holders out there who think they should have gotten a Masters?

Ours was just to do or die

I suppose it comes. I mean, there comes a time for everybody when something is the 'right' thing to do, whether that thing is to be tested by the ATA in the absence of a degree-granting institution, or to go after a degree-granting institution, join an accrediting association, or do something else that marks a milestone in his/her professional life. Some of us were too old to wait for the undergrad courses to be approved by curriculum committees, others were too deep in their postgrad studies to backtrack and take an undergrad or a translation MA, and I bet there are still others out there who are waiting for their translation certificates to be upgradeable because some ministry or department simply didn't think masters like this were necessary. In short, I think that whatever you do, what you get out of it is purely a matter of personal initiative. Yours is commendable, but what you call it really is indifferent. It's a qualification...

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
German to English
+ ...
E-mail me for more info about MIIS May 2, 2006

Hi,
I hold an MA in Translation from MIIS. I graduated in 1997 and a lot has changed since then, but my degree helped me immeasurably in getting started in the field and in getting clients. However, the cost is considerable. We had to really buckle down to pay back the loans in the first couple of years out, but then again, I viewed my education as an investment (which has paid off nicely). However, your mileage may vary depending on your experience, education, motivations, financial situa
... See more
Hi,
I hold an MA in Translation from MIIS. I graduated in 1997 and a lot has changed since then, but my degree helped me immeasurably in getting started in the field and in getting clients. However, the cost is considerable. We had to really buckle down to pay back the loans in the first couple of years out, but then again, I viewed my education as an investment (which has paid off nicely). However, your mileage may vary depending on your experience, education, motivations, financial situation, family situation, etc.

E-mail me if you would like more information.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certificate vs. MA degree

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »