How to become a DTP translator?
Thread poster: Floriana Casciabanca
Floriana Casciabanca
Floriana Casciabanca
Local time: 16:53
German to Italian
+ ...
Jul 21, 2006

My dear friends, I'm a little bit curious. How to become a DTP translator? I know it's not very easy, but it could be interesting.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!!!

Floriana

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 17:53
English to Russian
Start from HTML Jul 21, 2006

Since most DTP jobs are tagged text you could save
a couple of web-pages, open them in notepad and
get the general idea behind tags. Which is very easy.
And which basically covers it. Try translating it using
Wordfast and you'll see.

A nice tutorial om XML will be useful too.

Good luck!
Aleksandr

JoseZ
JoseZ
English
DTP translator Jul 21, 2006

Hola Florinana,

Some programs such as Trados work nicely with other DTP programs. All you have to do is extract the text from the source document (using "Story Collector" in Trados case) and translate away. Then you will have to reflow the text back into its original format.

However, must clients will send the text to be translated in a MS Word file and they take care of their own DTP. You could also work directly into the source file (Quark, etc) but you will run into
... See more
Hola Florinana,

Some programs such as Trados work nicely with other DTP programs. All you have to do is extract the text from the source document (using "Story Collector" in Trados case) and translate away. Then you will have to reflow the text back into its original format.

However, must clients will send the text to be translated in a MS Word file and they take care of their own DTP. You could also work directly into the source file (Quark, etc) but you will run into some problems. Furthermore, you must need to know how Quark, In Design, etc work. Your trying to take BIG task.

Have fun learning!!
Ciao
Jose

Floriana Casciabanca wrote:

My dear friends, I'm a little bit curious. How to become a DTP translator? I know it's not very easy, but it could be interesting.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!!!

Floriana
Collapse

Floriana Casciabanca
Floriana Casciabanca
Local time: 16:53
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot Jul 22, 2006

Dear Aleksandr and Josez

thank you so much for having answered to my question. I know it's not so easy becoming a DTP translator, but I think that in the long future I can make it. You've been very helpful to me!

Thanks a lot again!

Floriana Casciabanca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to become a DTP translator?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »