Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
where do you study to become a sworn/certified translator?
Thread poster: Alicia Casal
suirpwb (X)
suirpwb (X)

Local time: 10:45
Spanish to German
+ ...
Spain Apr 26, 2007

emoreda wrote:

Hello Alicia,

AFAIK (I'm not a sworn translator), there are two ways of becoming a sworn translator in Spain:

[Editado a las 2007-04-25 09:06]

Hi,

there must be at least three ways to become a sworn translator in Spain.

The list of sworn translators for all languages states the following three ways of access:

by exam, held by the Ministry of Foreing Affair
by convalidating your Translation/Interpretation diploma
by recognition of the profession in the European Union

The first two ones were mentioned already. As far as the third one is concerned I cannot tell you what this means exactly given that I have never investigated this way of access.

I took the exam and was successful; by the way, if this is of interest: for example, in German, it appears that the number of successful candidates is always very small: when I took the exam, I remember having taken the written exam together with about 100 candidates and the oral exam was only taken (I believe successfully) by only four (I believe all male) candidates. This year, 2007, I only saw two successful candidates in the oral exam in the list. BUT: given that there are two other ways of access, I believe the vast majority will choose these.

Regards,

Bernd

BAmary (X)
BAmary (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quebec, Canada May 1, 2007

I am a certified translator form Argentina living in Canada. In Quebec, you don't need to be a graduate translator to be sworn. You have several possibilities. The two main ones are: you can apply with your diploma plus 10 samples of your work and invoices/a letter from your employer, or you can prove your experience (invoices, letters from clients, etc. required) plus 10 samples. Your application goes to the board of the Ordre des Traducteurs and if they think you are fit, you go on to the ment... See more
I am a certified translator form Argentina living in Canada. In Quebec, you don't need to be a graduate translator to be sworn. You have several possibilities. The two main ones are: you can apply with your diploma plus 10 samples of your work and invoices/a letter from your employer, or you can prove your experience (invoices, letters from clients, etc. required) plus 10 samples. Your application goes to the board of the Ordre des Traducteurs and if they think you are fit, you go on to the mentorship (I think it lasts one year, but I'm not 100% sure).

It is not a program, as it is in Agentina, but if you got your degree in a Quebec university, you are more likely to be accepted.

If you want more information, visit the site of the OTTIAQ (Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec): http://www.ottiaq.org/index_fr.php

Saludos,

Maria
Collapse

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:45
English to Russian
+ ...
In Russia there's no such a concept Jan 12, 2013

There's no such a concept as a sworn/certified translator. The closest situation is a translator whose translation can be notarized by a public notary. In this case an official credendial of degree as "Interpretor/translator" shall be required by the notary.
In real life notaries that work in certifying translations (not every notary does that) very often will not certify a translation of a walk-in translator (even if the person holds an adecuate degree). Normally they will certify the tra
... See more
There's no such a concept as a sworn/certified translator. The closest situation is a translator whose translation can be notarized by a public notary. In this case an official credendial of degree as "Interpretor/translator" shall be required by the notary.
In real life notaries that work in certifying translations (not every notary does that) very often will not certify a translation of a walk-in translator (even if the person holds an adecuate degree). Normally they will certify the translation of a person whom they personally know or have already worked with, and who holds a degree in Translation/Interpretation.
However, I must admit it´s every time the notary who decides to certify your translation or not, and with right contacts and acquaintances you may get your translation notarized even with a degree in Linguistics, Phylology or similar. Once a colleague of mine got her translation notarized, though she held a degree in history, but had got credits in foreign languages during her studies.

[Edited at 2013-01-12 22:37 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

where do you study to become a sworn/certified translator?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »