https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/81187-phd_in_terminology_or_translation_in_europe.html

PhD in terminology &/or translation in Europe!
Thread poster: Wa'ad Younane
Wa'ad Younane
Wa'ad Younane
Lebanon
Local time: 16:11
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 13, 2007

Dears,

I am searching for a good university in Europe for my PhD in Terminology (or translation). I hold a Masters in Terminology from Lyon-France and would like to pursue my studies, either in French or in English (in English preferably, and if it includes foreign languages such as Arabic it would be great). Any ideas?

thanks for all your help!

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Universidad Pompeu Fabra Aug 13, 2007

Universidad Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, Spain has a PhD in terminology and an important research group:

http://www.iula.upf.edu/formaces01.htm

though you would have to find out about language combinations...

Good luck

Wa'ad Younane
Wa'ad Younane
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 13, 2007

thank you so much Heidi, i'll browse the site right now, hope it has what I am looking for:)

take care

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Why bother? Aug 13, 2007

With all due respect, why do you even bother? Translation is a practical skill that is not developed by means of advanced degrees, but rather through translating more texts and narrowing your specialization down to a few subject areas. Does it even pay to get a PhD in Translation? Not in the US, that's for sure.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is it officially recognised? Aug 13, 2007

Heidi C wrote:

Universidad Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, Spain has a PhD in terminology and an important research group:

though you would have to find out about language combinations...

Good luck

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
For what it's worth Aug 13, 2007

http://www.univ-paris3.fr/esit/fil_doctorat.html

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cultural differences Aug 13, 2007

The Misha wrote:

With all due respect, why do you even bother? Translation is a practical skill that is not developed by means of advanced degrees, but rather through translating more texts and narrowing your specialization down to a few subject areas. Does it even pay to get a PhD in Translation? Not in the US, that's for sure.

In the U.S., translation degree programs are rare. In certain other countries, getting the degree opens many doors professionally, and is one of the few ways to become a sworn translator.

Regarding the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, I was there in March for the biennial conference of AIETI. The people who run the translation studies program there seem impressively serious-minded about their field. Obviously, though, you'd have to understand Spanish and Catalan to study there, so I don't think it's quite what Wa'ad needs.

[Edited at 2007-08-13 17:57]

Wa'ad Younane
Wa'ad Younane
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cultural Differences, I couldn't have explained it better myself. Aug 14, 2007

Regarding what The Misha said, I am Lebanese, and I live in an oriental country where such a title will definitely an immediately ameliorate my status, both financially and socially, so as you can see, it is a necessity for me. Not to mention that I have already did my Masters degree. I experienced a taste of the research domain, and I have loved it. This might be completely absurd for you, but that's how see things... It's nothing but "Cultural Differences":)

Thank you all for all
... See more
Regarding what The Misha said, I am Lebanese, and I live in an oriental country where such a title will definitely an immediately ameliorate my status, both financially and socially, so as you can see, it is a necessity for me. Not to mention that I have already did my Masters degree. I experienced a taste of the research domain, and I have loved it. This might be completely absurd for you, but that's how see things... It's nothing but "Cultural Differences":)

Thank you all for all your help. As Steven said, I am not familiar with Spanish or Catalan and therefore am afraid I cannot benefit from the programs the Universitat Pompeu Fabra present.

As for the Universite Paris 3, I'll browse the site it may be a vey possible option.
Collapse

Heidi C
English to Spanish
+ ...
To Lia... Aug 14, 2007

Lia Fail wrote:
Is it officially recognised?

Heidi C wrote:

I assume it is (don't really understand your question: by whom?)

They have been working on developing a theory of terminology, do important research in different areas, write dictionaries, work in standarization, work in conjunction with other universities worldwide, publish books and papers...

Check out the site and the work they do.

Heidi C
English to Spanish
+ ...
About PhD in translation or terminology Aug 14, 2007

The Misha wrote:

Sorry, although translation and terminology are practical skills (and there are excellent translators who do not even have a BA in anything), they also have an academic aspect. Studying a PhD in these areas is not to become "a better translator" or "learn more words" or something like that... Studying a PhD is working in research and theory rather than in the practice of translation.

It is like asking someone who decides to pursue a PhD in Education why bother: studying a PhD in Education is not to become a "better teacher", it is to work in other areas of the field... (which probably will pay even worse -if possible- than a teaching job )

Yao Rene KOUADIO

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wouldn't discard the UK Aug 14, 2007

The only difficulty is finding a PhD program and the proper language combinations, but by writing directly to some universities you might find other possibilities. Salford, for instance, offers Arabic combinations:

Bridget Samuels
T +44 (0)161 295 3667
F +44 (0)161 295 5335
[email protected]

and Roehampton has a PhD in
... See more
The only difficulty is finding a PhD program and the proper language combinations, but by writing directly to some universities you might find other possibilities. Salford, for instance, offers Arabic combinations:

Bridget Samuels
T +44 (0)161 295 3667
F +44 (0)161 295 5335
[email protected]

and Roehampton has a PhD in Lexicography:

http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/r/translation/
Collapse

Pham Hoa Hiep
Pham Hoa Hiep  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Usefulness of a PhD Aug 15, 2007

I totally agree with you Heidi. There are academic aspects in translation and language studies, and one can pursue a PhD solely for personal interests. However, as Steve writes, “getting the degree opens many doors professionally".

I hold a Doctorate in Language Education, and an MA in Linguistics. This does not necessarily mean that I am a better translator than my peers who don't have such degrees. But I am often contacted by clients around the world who offer me academicall
... See more
I totally agree with you Heidi. There are academic aspects in translation and language studies, and one can pursue a PhD solely for personal interests. However, as Steve writes, “getting the degree opens many doors professionally".

I hold a Doctorate in Language Education, and an MA in Linguistics. This does not necessarily mean that I am a better translator than my peers who don't have such degrees. But I am often contacted by clients around the world who offer me academically interesting and rewarding jobs such as glossaries building, textbook localization/adaptation, language/culture consulting...There are certain jobs in our business which require the knowledge and skills of academics.

[Edited at 2007-08-15 04:39]
Collapse

Nancy Burgess (X)
Nancy Burgess (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:11
French to English
+ ...
Academic vs. vocational Aug 17, 2007

The Misha wrote:

Wa'ad didn't mention that this was a vocational move or that she was hoping this would help her make her first million. It's an academic endeavour. I'm sure you must understand the difference between the two. But I think you're actually just a wind-up merchant.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PhD in terminology &/or translation in Europe!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »