Has anyone attended or heard anything about the NYU online Certification in Translation?
Thread poster: Emily Batcher (X)
Emily Batcher (X)
Emily Batcher (X)
United States
Local time: 09:19
German to English
Nov 25, 2007

NYU offers a 6 course path online leading to a Certification in Translation, and in specific happens to offer one for German to English translation, which is what I do. Has anyone had any experience with this program? Heard anything about it? Attended it? It's a little pricy but I would consider it if I got some good feedback. I have only a BA in German and no formal translation training, and so am quite interested in getting more formal training.
Thanks in advance!
Emily

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:19
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I took two of these courses Nov 25, 2007

I took two of these online translation courses towards a certification in my language pair. After completing the second one, I was told that I officially never took the first one because allegedly they never received my registration fee! The administration was a little messy. However, it was a general positive experience as students had the chance to interact online with one another and the teachers were always very suportive. Also, I noticed that the NYU were always making an effort to improve ... See more
I took two of these online translation courses towards a certification in my language pair. After completing the second one, I was told that I officially never took the first one because allegedly they never received my registration fee! The administration was a little messy. However, it was a general positive experience as students had the chance to interact online with one another and the teachers were always very suportive. Also, I noticed that the NYU were always making an effort to improve the courses in general. I would recommend the online translation courses of the NYU to anyone who wishes to get formal training and a certificate, especially to translators in our continent, even if they are seasoned translators.

HTH

Elías
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
You may want to check this: Nov 26, 2007

http://www.proz.com/topic/79082

regards,

Anne

Laura Tridico
Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:19
French to English
+ ...
I'm taking on-line classes in F>E right now... Nov 26, 2007

I'm currently taking my second class, and I think I'm going to take all six courses for the certification. It's nice to get regular feedback on my work, and has helped me gain confidence in the quality of my work. It's also a chance to make contact with other translators, which doesn't happen every day.

Laura

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:19
German to English
my experience exactly Nov 26, 2007

Elías Sauza wrote:

The administration was a little messy. However, it was a general positive experience as students had the chance to interact online with one another and the teachers were always very suportive.
Elías

I've completed three of six courses for the German to English Translation certificate. These observations describe my experience closely (see http://www.proz.com/post/268797#268797).

Last week, I called to find out my grades. After a little run around, I finally got someone who knew exactly where to find the information I requested. I hope this means that the program's administration is improving, because I plan to complete the program before the statute of limitations runs out on the courses I've already taken.

The courses and instructors, though, are first class.

Emily Batcher (X)
Emily Batcher (X)
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
NYU - Your observations are so helpful!! Nov 26, 2007

Thanks you guys. So, from what I understand from everyone's experience with the NYU program, is that in order to get anything done (get set up with the admissions test, register, pay for registration fees and class), I'll basically need to call them and may get the run around several times. I can tell this will frustrate me to no end but I'll perservere. I, too, sent them two messages via their website and have received no response whatsoever.

Thanks so much to all who have replied
... See more
Thanks you guys. So, from what I understand from everyone's experience with the NYU program, is that in order to get anything done (get set up with the admissions test, register, pay for registration fees and class), I'll basically need to call them and may get the run around several times. I can tell this will frustrate me to no end but I'll perservere. I, too, sent them two messages via their website and have received no response whatsoever.

Thanks so much to all who have replied! It sounds like a great program, just a little difficult to deal with the beauacracy.
I'm still open to hearing more, though, so please add on if you have more observations....
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone attended or heard anything about the NYU online Certification in Translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »