institute of linguists (IOL)
Thread poster: yelken
yelken
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:44
English to Turkish
Jan 29, 2008

has onebody taken exam from IOL for dip.in translation?if yes what do you think of it?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:44
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try a forum search Jan 29, 2008

I recall this topic was brought up many times before. Why don't you search the fora?



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:44
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It's a very difficult exam Jan 29, 2008

I do not think I would find it quite as difficult now, as I have had quite a lot of additional experience since taking it. However, it was very difficult at the time. I participated in a distance learning course of London University in preparation for it, which certainly helped. There were three translations to do for the exam, a general one and two in each of two different broad fields. The preparation for the three of them is a lot of work.

Astrid


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ianto2000
Local time: 18:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dip Trans from IoL Jan 31, 2008

I have just taken the exam (3 papers) a general topic 600 words, three hours, a business topic 400 words, two hours and a legal topic 400 words, 2 hours. The fact that you have to sit all 3 papers in one day is probably the most daunting aspect and certainly the most exhausting.

My set was Spanish to English and although there was never a point when I asked myself what am I doing here I felt pushed for time on all of them, to a degree this was poor time management on my part (I hadnt taken an exam for over 30 years and so probably was'nt very match fit) especially during the general paper which was a story that ran in El Pais last August concerning a new method of stress aleveiation which involved signing up to a program run by a hotel chain to go and smash up one of their rooms which was due for re-furbishment. The article was fun and engaging and I wasted too much time luxuriating over my choice of vocab for the first 500 words or so and then had to play a very fast game of catch up in the last 15 minutes.

They say its the creme de la creme of translating credentials, I personally have no idea if that's true but they certainly have been around a long time. When you talk to them its like stepping back in time, they may have a computer for you on the other hand maybe not. On one occasion during my discusions with them I was urged to take the exam as a written test and was told that afterall thats how it was done years ago.

When I signed up in August I was told that i shouldn't worry if I hadn't heard from them after a while as everyone was on holiday.I found the whole experience charming and endearing although I am told the pass rate averages a miserly 30 percent.

Good luck if you give it a whirl and remember its not cheap 600.00 pounds or so!


[Edited at 2008-01-31 22:07]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
yelken
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:44
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
what makes you think that, i haven't search already? Feb 1, 2008

Parrot wrote:

I recall this topic was brought up many times before. Why don't you search the fora?



Direct link Reply with quote
 

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 20:44
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
an additional question Feb 5, 2008

Ianto2000 wrote:

I have just taken the exam (3 papers) a general topic 600 words, three hours, a business topic 400 words, two hours and a legal topic 400 words, 2 hours. The fact that you have to sit all 3 papers in one day is probably the most daunting aspect and certainly the most exhausting.

My set was Spanish to English and although there was never a point when I asked myself what am I doing here I felt pushed for time on all of them, to a degree this was poor time management on my part (I hadnt taken an exam for over 30 years and so probably was'nt very match fit) especially during the general paper which was a story that ran in El Pais last August concerning a new method of stress aleveiation which involved signing up to a program run by a hotel chain to go and smash up one of their rooms which was due for re-furbishment. The article was fun and engaging and I wasted too much time luxuriating over my choice of vocab for the first 500 words or so and then had to play a very fast game of catch up in the last 15 minutes.

They say its the creme de la creme of translating credentials, I personally have no idea if that's true but they certainly have been around a long time. When you talk to them its like stepping back in time, they may have a computer for you on the other hand maybe not. On one occasion during my discusions with them I was urged to take the exam as a written test and was told that afterall thats how it was done years ago.

When I signed up in August I was told that i shouldn't worry if I hadn't heard from them after a while as everyone was on holiday.I found the whole experience charming and endearing although I am told the pass rate averages a miserly 30 percent.

Good luck if you give it a whirl and remember its not cheap 600.00 pounds or so!


[Edited at 2008-01-31 22:07]



Who evaluates the exam results at IOL? Well, say for more popular language combinations like English, Spanish, German and so on there are many experts to evaluate, but what about smaller/rare pairs? Like English-Lithuanian? And is it possible at all to got for an exam at IOL being a Lithuanian native speaker? Do they have kind of exam language pair lists?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:44
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Less popular languages Feb 16, 2008

MariusV wrote:
And is it possible at all to got for an exam at IOL being a Lithuanian native speaker? Do they have kind of exam language pair lists?


I assume the situation with Lithuanian is pretty much the same as with Latvian. I was really interested in taking this exam in 2006 and even paid the registration fee (which was later returned). Unfortunately I was infomed by IOL that they would only allow me to sit the exam if 5 or more people registered for examination in the same language pair. Therefore I dropped the idea, since I didn't find it very believable that 5 people in EN-LV pair would sign up for the examination in the same year.

As to evaluation - I was told that the tests would be passed to British Council in Latvia, but I have no clue who would have been the actual reviewer.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-02-16 18:31]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

institute of linguists (IOL)

Advanced search






Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search