https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/95923-how_good_is_saint_boniface.html

How good is Saint Boniface?
Thread poster: Neema
Neema
Neema
Local time: 22:19
French to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2008

Hi there,
I am a new member. I am trilingual French-English-Arabic, and I am considering to become a translator. I didn't find any School of Translation in the area where I live, so I am thinking to join a distance education certificate program. I already have a degree in Business. I found Ecole Saint Boniface on the internet. Does anyone know about this school? How do I find out about the reputation of this school and the employability of its students? I'd really appreciate any insights
... See more
Hi there,
I am a new member. I am trilingual French-English-Arabic, and I am considering to become a translator. I didn't find any School of Translation in the area where I live, so I am thinking to join a distance education certificate program. I already have a degree in Business. I found Ecole Saint Boniface on the internet. Does anyone know about this school? How do I find out about the reputation of this school and the employability of its students? I'd really appreciate any insights you have. Thanks in advance!
Naima
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:19
English to French
+ ...
CUSB Feb 2, 2008

You're talking about the CUSB, the Collège universitaire de Saint-Boniface? This university is affiliated to the University of Manitoba and indeed offers a Certificate in Translation.

I can only have good words for this school, since that's where I obtained my translation education. The program focusses mainly on translation into French, but there are courses about translation into English. I've found all courses to be very interesting, offering a good mix of translation theory and
... See more
You're talking about the CUSB, the Collège universitaire de Saint-Boniface? This university is affiliated to the University of Manitoba and indeed offers a Certificate in Translation.

I can only have good words for this school, since that's where I obtained my translation education. The program focusses mainly on translation into French, but there are courses about translation into English. I've found all courses to be very interesting, offering a good mix of translation theory and practice. The teachers were always available to answer questions via e-mail or via the course forum.

In terms of employability, I cannot say because I had my full-time in-house job already when I started the course. And today I have freelance clients for who I started to work with while I was still 'in school'. I didn't notice a difference after I obtained my diploma - which makes me think that a diploma doesn't necessarily make the translator, but experience and talent surely help

Good luck!
Collapse

Neema
Neema
Local time: 22:19
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CUSB Feb 3, 2008

Thank you Marie-Claude for your reply. I am still doing my research about possible other schools. CUSB does look interesting to me, but since I speak Arabic too, I'd like to find some school that offers English>Arabic translation as well so I can expand my market. But overall, CUSB is very affordable and the faculty appears to be very qualified. So it is definitely on my list too.

That's great that you already had your job even before having the certificate. How did you build your c
... See more
Thank you Marie-Claude for your reply. I am still doing my research about possible other schools. CUSB does look interesting to me, but since I speak Arabic too, I'd like to find some school that offers English>Arabic translation as well so I can expand my market. But overall, CUSB is very affordable and the faculty appears to be very qualified. So it is definitely on my list too.

That's great that you already had your job even before having the certificate. How did you build your client base?? Was it enough for your customers that you were bilingual regardless of the certification?

Naima
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How good is Saint Boniface?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »