https://www.proz.com/forum/pronunciation/41559-pronunciation_of_catalan_surnames_in_other_languages.html

Pronunciation of Catalan surnames in other languages
Thread poster: wagadugu
wagadugu
wagadugu
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2006

Catalan orthography has some specific characteristics. For example, Roig and Puig are pronounced /rotch/ and /putch/, and 'ch' is pronounced /k/, 'x' is /sh/, so in fact ‘ch’ of Samaranch is not English or Spanish ‘ch’, but ‘k’.
But, in general, the surnames of Latin Americans of Catalan descent are pronounced like Spanish spelling, that is, Manuel Puig's surname is not /putch/ but /puig/. And I think the surname of Sylvia Rexach is not pronounced /reshak/ but /reksatch/, becua
... See more
Catalan orthography has some specific characteristics. For example, Roig and Puig are pronounced /rotch/ and /putch/, and 'ch' is pronounced /k/, 'x' is /sh/, so in fact ‘ch’ of Samaranch is not English or Spanish ‘ch’, but ‘k’.
But, in general, the surnames of Latin Americans of Catalan descent are pronounced like Spanish spelling, that is, Manuel Puig's surname is not /putch/ but /puig/. And I think the surname of Sylvia Rexach is not pronounced /reshak/ but /reksatch/, becuase she is Puerto Rican.
However, I am not sure whether Castilian-speakers in Spain are aware of the fact that Carles Rexach's surname should be pronounced /reshak/, or whether most Castilian-speakers are generally ignorant of Catalan pronunciation, so that they pronounce the surnames of Catalans (let alone Latin Americans of Catalan descent) as if they were Spanish.
I also wonder if French people pronounce the surname of Marie-Josée Roig as if it were French /rwa(g)/.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pronunciation of Catalan surnames in other languages

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »