Source word count for proofreading
Thread poster: Andreas Nieckele

Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:04
English to Portuguese
Mar 17, 2009

Hello,

I'm not used to proofreading - I'm more used to translations and I've received a proofreading assignment yesterday.

I just want to know how do you count the source words? Do you count the words only from the original document on the source language, or do you count the words on both of the source and target document? After all, you DO have to carefully read both of them do compare...

thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Ann Krol  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:04
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
Usually the rate for proofreading is based on source word OR per hour Mar 17, 2009

Hi,

I think it should be only for one version - target or source...smile...

Usually the rate for proofreading is based on source word OR per hour.

Good luck!
Ann

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proofreading vs. reviewing. Mar 17, 2009

It seems you mean reviewing, not proofreading.

Proofreading deals with the final product and checks grammar, spelling, syntaxis, structure, etc. You don`t even look to the source text. As far as you are involved, there is no source text.

Reviewing does compare source text to final translated text and works over the right translation and proper terminology.

Charges are different in either case.

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Member (2003)
French to English
By the hour Mar 17, 2009

Taking on board what Walter says about the difference between reviewing and proofreading, if you can it's better to charge by the hour, because the length of the job can vary hugely depending on the quality of the translation.

Best,

Karen

Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 18, 2009

Thanks for your replies.

May I say that I already learned a lesson, and next time I'll definitely charge by the hour.

Walter: thanks for explaining the difference between proofreading and reviewing, as that was never entirely clear to me!

Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:04
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
then vs. now Mar 29, 2009

Andreas Nieckele wrote:

Thanks for your replies.

May I say that I already learned a lesson, and next time I'll definitely charge by the hour.

Walter: thanks for explaining the difference between proofreading and reviewing, as that was never entirely clear to me!

Back in the old days, proofreading did indeed involve carefully comparing the typeset proof against the original manuscript for typos and other mistakes made when setting the type. When type was set by pulling each individual letter from a drawer by hand, you can imagine how necessary this was!

Nowadays, it is as Walter says. Checking for clear mistakes in spelling, punctuation, and so on, regardless of the original text.

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:04
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Mar 29, 2009

Walter Landesman wrote:

It seems you mean reviewing, not proofreading.

Proofreading deals with the final product and checks grammar, spelling, syntaxis, structure, etc. You don`t even look to the source text. As far as you are involved, there is no source text.

Reviewing does compare source text to final translated text and works over the right translation and proper terminology.

You're right, of course, but the fact is that a lot of agencies and clients don't know that. When they ask for proofreading, they send you the source and target texts and expect you to "make it nice." So it is important to specify ahead of time how you understand these terms and what your differentiated rates are. There is a third category of work, which is "editing," which subsumes the other two, but also includes making judgments about how something could be better expressed, while sticking to the author's intention. That takes the longest of all, and should be billed accordingly, if you're billing per word.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
German to English
+ ...
now vs. now Mar 29, 2009

Kathryn Litherland wrote:

Back in the old days, proofreading did indeed involve carefully comparing the typeset proof against the original manuscript for typos and other mistakes made when setting the type.

To some of us, it still does. Even if type is set electronically, there is still a demand for proofreading.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source word count for proofreading

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search