Germany
Local time: 22:44
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 30, 2009

Huh!?

I will not mention any names, but it is for real (I am just indirectly involved).

My rational reaction to this ridiculous expectation would be:" X cents per word of text, prefiltered by the other party". Or "actual time spent on the job - to the approximate, nonbinding amount of XYZ - will be charged".

But, on the other hand, I just can't help but laugh (and cry) at the ingenuity of "what else can be done to keep my prices low / my margin reasonable"
... See more
Huh!?

I will not mention any names, but it is for real (I am just indirectly involved).

My rational reaction to this ridiculous expectation would be:" X cents per word of text, prefiltered by the other party". Or "actual time spent on the job - to the approximate, nonbinding amount of XYZ - will be charged".

But, on the other hand, I just can't help but laugh (and cry) at the ingenuity of "what else can be done to keep my prices low / my margin reasonable".

Comments and similar stories welcome.

regards

Vito
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:44
English to German
+ ...
I had this some years ago.. Apr 30, 2009

A consequent answer would be: The standard discount for proofreading of repetitions and fuzzies is 0%.
An even more consequent answer would be to not reply at all.

Mykhailo Voloshko
Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:44
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
100% matches are not to be proofread and will not be paid for May 1, 2009

It was not the best decision, as the translation was not good.
While correcting fuzzy matches I had to check whether or not every incorrect term is "accepted" (used in 100% matches and thus approved by the client). Of course, I let them know that the translation was no good, but the client seemed to be all happy with the translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading job: "pls quote using standard discount for repeats and fuzzies"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »