Proofreading corrections
Thread poster: 02046890753

Local time: 19:48
Nov 15, 2009

Hi. I have been assigned a translation to proofread for a college assignment. The text is from French into English. In the English translation a book title is referred to, '..as described in The History of France, page #'. My question is should the title be in italics or quotation marks, or neither?
Thanks.

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
italics Nov 15, 2009

Hi,

I follow the Chicago Manual of Style, and it puts book titles in italics.

However, there is a caveat: if the book was published in French, and it wasn't translated into English, then you should give the untranslated French title in italics and put the translated title in parenthesis in roman type.

HTH!

Patricia

Irene McClure
Local time: 20:48
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
OXford Style Manual Nov 16, 2009

Hi Jonesey

I follow the Oxford Style Manual which also says that book titles should be given in italics.

And, as Patricia points out, there are specific guidelines for translated works. The Oxford Manual says "An italic title is followed by a translation in square brackets where it is an ad hoc rendering, but italic where it is the title of a published translation."

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading corrections

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search