7 hours paid instead of 8.5 hours
Thread poster: Jacqueline Sieben

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2009

With reference to my earlier thread about the long proofreading job, the agency eventually agreed to pay me 7 hours, instead of 8.5 hours. I have decided to disclose the agency's name: (send me an email to find out), since I think everyone should be warned about their business practices. It is true that they tried to find a solution, but the agency refuses to pay me the full amount because they claim that 2 independent translators were of the opinion that the time required was excessive.

For further details please see: http://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing/152158-amount_of_hours_for_proofreading_deemed_excessive_by_agency.html

[Edited at 2009-12-07 15:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-12-07 17:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-12-07 17:10 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
To the Blue Board Dec 7, 2009

This tread belongs to the BB.
It mentions the name of the Agency even in the title. Or else, the title should be edited too.

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have posted an entry on the BB Dec 7, 2009

but I insist on warning translators on the forum as well!

[Edited at 2009-12-07 16:26 GMT]

Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Well... Dec 7, 2009

...I kind of guessed that this would end in a compromise (maybe reluctantly accepted by you). It seems that the proofreading was really tough, now that you can't get over it... Sorry to hear that. I'll check the BB.

Cheers!

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
It is all about *their* credibility... Dec 7, 2009

Come on, folks! Having a legal translation job done by someone who was apparently not in the know for lousy rates, then having said substandard translation proofread with a mandatory time frame of 2.5 hours... Where are we going to?

As it seems, some agencies only work in the framework of a "budget" (probably defined by the end client - ever seen that elsewhere? Come on again!) and tear out their hair when the budget in question is exceeded by 1/100 of a cent...

Maybe 7 hours instead of 8.5 is still a good deal for some among us.

But clearly, doing this job without being able to contact any agency representative over the weekend to inform them about the problems encountered (hey, they have their saturdays and sundays off, remember?) should be paid in full as it shows commitment - an unusual word in today's world, or what? - to keep the customer satisfied... and to maintain the agency's credibility... (towards the client, should my hint not be clear enough).

[Edited at 2009-12-08 06:19 GMT]

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I could not agree more, of course, Dec 7, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Come on, folks! Having a legal translation job done by someone who was apparently not in the know for lousy rates, then having said substandard translation proofread with a mandatory time frame of 2.5 hours... Where are we going to?

As it seems, some agencies only work in the framework of a "budget" (probably defined by the end client - ever seen that elsewhere? Come on again!) and tear out their hair when the budget in question is exceeded by 1/100 of a cent...

Maybe 7 hours instead of 8.5 is still a good deal for some among us.

But clearly, doing this job without being able to contact any agency representative over the weekend to inform them about the problems encountered (hey, they have their saturdays and sundays off, remember?) should be paid in full as it shows commitment - an unusual word in today's world, or what? - to keep the customer satisfied... and to maintain the agency' credibility.

[Edited at 2009-12-07 20:39 GMT]

and I did do one job in the past for them, which paid $ 0.14 per source word... so I did not know (until now) that they indeed are offering very low rates nowadays.... needless to say: I will avoid them as the plague, and I think others should do too...

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Last known rate... Dec 7, 2009

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:
I could not agree more, of course,
and I did do one job in the past for them, which paid $ 0.14 per source word... so I did not know (until now) that they indeed are offering very low rates nowadays.... needless to say: I will avoid them as the plague, and I think others should do too...

AFAIAC was USD 0.08/source word, minus fuzzy matches for a highly technical EN>DE translation...

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The way I do it Dec 12, 2009

I had a similar problem in the past: 6 hours paid instead of 12.5 (!) because the PDF i received was real disaster. Now if the client asks me to proofread a document within, say, 6 hours, I will stop right after 6 hours.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

7 hours paid instead of 8.5 hours

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search