“a hydrido tungsten complex” vs. “a hydridotungsten complex”
Thread poster: Alan Frankel

Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:58
German to English
Feb 8, 2010

I have a question regarding the representation of complexes (usually organometallic) in English, and I can't find an answer to it in the IUPAC online manuals.

IUPAC seems to assume that you're always wanting to refer to a SPECIFIC molecule that you want to name. It doesn't seem to address how to refer to a CLASS of molecules, or a GENERIC molecule.

In the following, do you have a choice, or do you need to insert, or omit, the spaces?

- “a hydrido tungsten complex” (rather than “a hydridotungsten complex”)
- “alkyl tantalum(III) complexes” (rather than “alkyltantalum(III) complexes”)
- “carbonyl hydrido complexes”
- “acetyl hydrido complexes”
- “acetyl hydrido platinum(IV) complexes”
- “carbene hydrido complex”
- “hydrido olefin complexes”
- “cationic hydrido(phosphorus ylide)tungsten(IV) complex”
- “a hydrido methylene and a methyl tungsten complex”
- “an alkyl(carbene)hydrido complex”
- “ethylbis(neopentyl)tantalum(V) complex”

Either an answer to this question or a pointer to a possible answer would be greatly appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:58
Spanish to English
Sorry to be unhelpful but Feb 8, 2010

You should probably put this in as an English-English question in kudoz

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I did end up posting it in Kudoz Feb 8, 2010

That was actually a helpful suggestion.

I'd been avoiding posting my question in Kudoz because it pertained to a class of terms rather than a single one. But I figured out that I could single out one term and pose it as a translation question (since it originated when I was translating from German to English), even though my issue is not the meaning of the source, or even the words I should use to translate it, but rather the spacing I should use in my translation. It almost seems like overkill to have the "choose a best answer" mechanism (since there are at most two, and it's obvious from the beginning what those two are), but I suppose that's fine.

Thanks!

Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:58
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
German > English or English > English Feb 8, 2010

I've only just seen this forum posting and haven't received an alert to say it was posted in the En > En pair so I assume you posted it in the De > En pair. Perhaps you should have posted En > En as there are lots of English-speaking experts around here....

Nomenclature is always a tricky subject. Have you considered reading some "Instructions for Authors" from the major chemistry journals? They can often be of help. Generally speaking, non-specific compounds should have a space but specific ones not, so to use one of your examples "alkyl tantalum(III)" would be correct for the non-specific compound name whereas "methyltantalum(III)" would be the specific compound.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:58
Spanish to English
Thanks Andrew Feb 8, 2010

That is very useful information and thanks Alan for posing it.

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I suspected that some rule like Andrew's existed Feb 8, 2010

Thanks, Andrew. I suspected that a general rule like the one you mention existed, but I wasn't sure. The "instructions for authors" suggestion is also a good one.

I'm not quite sure whether I now want to post this in EN > EN, particularly since I've now effectively posted it twice already. I'll see how many responses I get first.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

“a hydrido tungsten complex” vs. “a hydridotungsten complex”

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search