Accuracy Certificate?
Thread poster: Sheila Wall

Sheila Wall
Canada
Local time: 21:59
English
May 7, 2010

I've been editing/proofreading for 12 years but this is the first time I've been asked for an Accuracy Certificate. I'm in Canada, the client is in UK. Is it a legal document, or can I just write a statement saying that as a professional editor/proofreader and native English speaker, I verify that the content is accurate according to the original document?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:59
English to German
+ ...
Accuracy certificate May 8, 2010

TRANSLATION CERTIFICATION

The foregoing represents a true and exact translation of the original [language] document, a certified copy of which is attached hereto.

City, State Country
Month Day, 20XX

First Name Last Name

That's what I use...

David Eunice  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:59
Japanese to English
A fuller declaration May 8, 2010

Penlady wrote:
an Accuracy Certificate. I'm in Canada, the client is in UK. Is it a legal document, or can I just write a statement saying that as a professional editor/proofreader and native English speaker, I verify that the content is accurate according to the original document?

Ms Schnell's statement may well suffice.

Below is what I use. I adapted a boilerplate I found somewhere.
The statute mentioned has probably been superseded and will
likely not apply to a Canadian citizen living in Canada, but the more
specific form and the other marks of authenticity look a little more serious.

As you can see, in this case, it is not a legal agreement, rather
it is a translation to show that the applicant for a visa has enough
money in the bank.

STATUTORY DECLARATION

I, Name Name Name, freelance translator for NN years now residing and working at
Address Address Address Address Address Address
do solemnly and sincerely declare that I well understand the Japanese and English languages and that the overtyped English translations in attached documents 1B and 2B of the relevant parts of the attached Japanese documents 1A and 2A are true and faithful translations made by me.

The Japanese documents in question are the account-holder information page and account transaction pages of the Bank of XXX ordinary account passbook of Name Name Name. The translated documents are also dated and signed by me.

I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act, 1835.

Dated this NNth day of April 2010

Yours faithfully,

----------

Sheila Wall
Canada
English
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, Thank you so much! May 8, 2010

I had no idea, and you even give me the words. Much appreciated from both of you.
Sheila

United States
English to German
+ ...
Sample text for outsourcers May 8, 2010

I, [First Name Last Name], declare and say:

1. [Company Name] is a Corporate Member in good standing of the American Translators Association and the National Association of the Judiciary Interpreters and Translators. I am the Project Manager for [Company Name]. If called as a witness in this matter, I would and could competently testify as set forth below of my personal knowledge.

2. [Company Name] was retained to translate from English into German
Medical Insurance Documentation regarding XXXXXXXXX attached hereto as
Exhibit A.

3. It is our custom and practice to assign all translations to qualified, professional linguists. In keeping with our custom and practice, the translation of these documents was assigned to a certified English into German translator.

4. Based on my knowledge and experience with the translator and our internal review thereof, I can represent that the translation (Exhibit B) is a true and correct translation of the original and is an accurate reflection thereof.

I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct and that this document was executed in [City], [State] on Month Day, 20xx.

-----------------------------------
FIRST NAME LAST NAME

State of xxxxxx, County of xxxxxx

Subscribed and Sworn to (or affirmed) before me
On this 9th Day of January 2009
By [First Name Last Name]
Personally known to me or proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) who appeared before me

……………………………
First Name Last Name, Notary Public

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
I always add May 8, 2010

'to the best of my knowledge and ability' to my variation of a translation certificate. I'm not a lawyer (just a graduate of the "Law & Order Institute of Advanced Legal Education"), but I feel safer with this addition.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not certified May 8, 2010

In Canada you should not use the word 'certified copy' (as suggested by Nicole) unless you are indeed certified by your provincial organization.

Sheila Wall
Canada
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tina & Benno May 8, 2010

Very appreciated. Tina, we are neighbors, sort of. I haven't me another translator as close to me yet.
Sheila

United States
English to German
+ ...
Tina - "certified" refers to the copy, not to the translator May 8, 2010

Tina Vonhof wrote:

In Canada you should not use the word 'certified copy' (as suggested by Nicole) unless you are indeed certified by your provincial organization.

Please read again: "of the original [language] document, a certified copy of which is attached hereto"

The copy of the original document attached is made by a notary (even some copy shops offer this service for a small fee), you leave your signature and personal information in their book, and that's it. This has nothing to do with any certifications of the translator.

Source of my standard text: My own immigration papers, translated and signed by the German Honorary Consul himself, in my new hometown in the US.

Sheila Wall
Canada
English
TOPIC STARTER
A goldmine of wisdom here! May 8, 2010

"The copy of the original document attached is made by a notary (even some copy shops offer this service for a small fee), you leave your signature and personal information in their book, and that's it. This has nothing to do with any certifications of the translator."

Ahh Nicole thanks for the clarification.
Sheila

United States
English to German
+ ...
Notarization May 8, 2010

Penlady wrote:

Ahh Nicole thanks for the clarification.
Sheila

I truly was amazed how easy this procedure is. The person who notarizes your copies will take your paperwork, will have you sign a form in his / her presence, will make copies for their own records, and will file them together with your signature in your presence. That's all.

Addendum:

Off course your paperwork will receive an official stamp and a signature from the notary, and you can take them home.

[Edited at 2010-05-08 16:53 GMT]

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not necessary May 8, 2010

I attach a scanned copy of the original (which is usually what the client sent me in the first place) but it is not necessary (in Canada) to get the copy certified, not even for a certified translation.

If the client requires that, you could take the entire document - declaration, translation, and copy of the original - to a Commissioner for Oaths. You will then have to sign the declaration in front of them and they will put their stamp on it - similar to what Nicole describes. I used to do this before I was certified but I wouldn't call it exactly easy: a) it takes time to go there, b) the service comes at a price of course, and c) if the Commissioner just happens to be on lunch break or have the day off or his wife is sick, you have to go back another time. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

[Edited at 2010-05-08 18:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-08 18:34 GMT]

Sheila Wall
Canada
English
TOPIC STARTER
Attachment? May 8, 2010

Tina, I don't see any attachment to your post, or I don't know how to access it if it's there. I would like to see what you have sent. I am new to this forum. Also, please check your message box. I wrote 2 emails about translations in Canada.

My project has been returned with the certificate, so no further assistance is needed, thankyou all. It's a joy to learn new things!
Kind thank you's and regards to all.
Sheila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accuracy Certificate?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search