Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can anyone give me a link to BAD machine translations?
Thread poster: A. Deb
A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2010

Hi everyone

One of my clients in any engineering company for whom I have worked for many years. They have a department which now insists on sending me third-rate, amateur, non-native translations of a highly-technical nature from Spanish to English which I suspect have been run through some awful machine translation tool. I am then supposed to correct these documents, with no source text and a lot of imagination.

I have spoken to the documentation manager who has in
... See more
Hi everyone

One of my clients in any engineering company for whom I have worked for many years. They have a department which now insists on sending me third-rate, amateur, non-native translations of a highly-technical nature from Spanish to English which I suspect have been run through some awful machine translation tool. I am then supposed to correct these documents, with no source text and a lot of imagination.

I have spoken to the documentation manager who has in turn spoken to the manager of this department but the latter refuses to cooperate (a HUGE ego there too). I am now thinking of sending them a highly-technical document, translated into Spanish through a bad machine translation tool and asking them to try to proofing the text. After all, there's nothing like a bad dose of experience!

I was wondering if any of you have any samples of the kind of example I'm look for to give to my client or links to anything of this nature.

Thanks

Ana
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:21
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Why don't you try giving them both the good and the bad translation at the same time? Jun 14, 2010

Take a paragraph, run it through a machine translation, then at the same time, submit your translation of the same paragraph and let them compare which makes sense.

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
German to English
Google Babelfish Jun 14, 2010

Here's your first paragraph into Spanish and back to English:
One of my clients in cualquie company of engineering for that has worked during many years. They have a department that now insists on the shipment of me of low category, become fond of, foreign translations of a highly-technical nature of Spanish to the English that I suspect I have worked myself through a little tremendous tool of the automatic translation. Then they suppose to me to correct these documents, without the origin
... See more
One of my clients in cualquie company of engineering for that has worked during many years. They have a department that now insists on the shipment of me of low category, become fond of, foreign translations of a highly-technical nature of Spanish to the English that I suspect I have worked myself through a little tremendous tool of the automatic translation. Then they suppose to me to correct these documents, without the original text and much imagination.
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
English to Russian
+ ...
a link Jun 14, 2010

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-497544/Chinglish-Hilarious-examples-signs-lost-translation.html

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Just tell them to stop sending you this kind of translations Jun 14, 2010

If I was you I'd just tell them I won't do the job ! As what they are doing isn't pro at all...

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
English to Russian
+ ...
The most famous one, imho Jun 14, 2010

This image can be of help.

Photobucket

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Instructions Jun 14, 2010

@ Sergei:)) You simply can't beat this one.

But it would seem the following always works:

1. Put brain in mindless automaton mode.

2. Take random chapter from some user's manual.

3. Assemble random words in target language and mark them as a "translation".

4. Add random words from manual's technical field to "translation" in a random way.

5. Mark
... See more
@ Sergei:)) You simply can't beat this one.

But it would seem the following always works:

1. Put brain in mindless automaton mode.

2. Take random chapter from some user's manual.

3. Assemble random words in target language and mark them as a "translation".

4. Add random words from manual's technical field to "translation" in a random way.

5. Mark "translation" as "proofread".

6. Profit.

Most of these should be MT errors: http://www.ojohaven.com/fun/translation.funnies.html

[Edited at 2010-06-14 12:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-06-14 12:32 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
This sounds like a restaurant I would NOT visit in Copenhagen... Jun 14, 2010

With a knowledge of Danish you understand WHY some of the mistakes occur, but I suspect you can make quite a good case against machine translation whatever you do.

http://thecopenhagenguide.com/665/rasmus-oubæk

And this person must be what we call a glutton for punishment in the north of England... ...
See more
With a knowledge of Danish you understand WHY some of the mistakes occur, but I suspect you can make quite a good case against machine translation whatever you do.

http://thecopenhagenguide.com/665/rasmus-oubæk

And this person must be what we call a glutton for punishment in the north of England...
I've been a regular guest on Oubæk for several years due to their fantastic boeuf béarnaise. But one day you could not get it more like a big and bad main course .... sniff sniff. They serve still boeuf Béarnaise, but in a smaller and lighter version amputated.

Last time I was there, I walked a great arc around steak and tried other cases on the menu. Everything had to UG and a really good experience. Moreover, by the staff much about wine, which I good like.

Go to the MASH for steaks and Oubæk of delights ...

Or how about this one?!
Last week I was with some friends inside to enjoy a good lunch at Oubæk. We were good aware that surgery with double booking, but the restaurant was far from full, and we got all that time we could dream of to enjoy our food....

We got very good law to share a game of snails for starter (we were 5 persons) who was an excellent appetizer. And we even got a few more than the map had promised. For main course I got even confit de canard. Crispy fried meat which deprived some tenderness but it was still a nice right.
For dessert there was a nice sorbet dish, delicious Crème Brûlée assisted by a tart sorbet and not least quite amazing icy profiteroles. In an abundance of warm chocolate sauce. So, classic French bistro, at its best. We went over saturate and happy and then come back again probably at some point.

And they are still in the surgical mode here!

After reading other reviews, we were naturally excited about the operation. The two waiters we were served by were friendly and welcoming, although our desire for tap water was heard.

Quite seriously, I do think it is important to educate clients about machine translation.
It makes proofreading a nightmare, and it does not save time or money if they really need a translation and not a literally mindless jumble of words!

Best of luck!

[Edited at 2010-06-14 16:20 GMT]
Collapse

Desdemone (X)
Desdemone (X)
Local time: 19:21
French to English
Agreed Jun 14, 2010

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

If I was you I'd just tell them I won't do the job ! As what they are doing isn't pro at all...

And why would you agree to working WITHOUT a source text?

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Puzzled. Jun 14, 2010

Gillian Searl wrote:

One of my clients in cualquie company of engineering for that has worked during many years. They have a department that now insists on the shipment of me of low category, become fond of, foreign translations of a highly-technical nature of Spanish to the English that I suspect I have worked myself through a little tremendous tool of the automatic translation. Then they suppose to me to correct these documents, without the original text and much imagination.

It puzzles me how some people say we're about to be replaced my machine translation.

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Not bad, really... Jun 14, 2010

Gillian Searl wrote:

Not bad, really... Maybe it's high time to start learning some other job? With such great progress these machines will soon beat us, human translators...

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:21
English to French
+ ...
How about "no, thanks" Jun 14, 2010

Anaviva wrote:

One of my clients in any engineering company... now insists on sending me third-rate, amateur, non-native translations of a highly-technical nature... I am then supposed to correct these documents, with no source text and a lot of imagination.

I would try something like "I am very sorry, but I cannot bring myself to risk your reputation on something that makes no sense and can be detrimental to your products."

J Celeita (X)
J Celeita (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ Christine Jun 14, 2010

Hilarious!!!!

I loved the "lighter version amputated"!!!

I was laughing so hard my daughter came over from the other room to see what I was laughing at! lol

[Edited at 2010-06-14 16:11 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Is it fit for purpose? Jun 14, 2010

I know some people can get by with these jumbles of words, but what do insurance companies say about that kind of translation, for instance in user manuals?

Has anyone tried suing a company for product liability? There must be tales like that somewhere. There must be loads of arguments!

One of the errors of machine translation is the failure to recognise and translate negatives... which could be fatal.

For instance, something as trivial as:
The machin
... See more
I know some people can get by with these jumbles of words, but what do insurance companies say about that kind of translation, for instance in user manuals?

Has anyone tried suing a company for product liability? There must be tales like that somewhere. There must be loads of arguments!

One of the errors of machine translation is the failure to recognise and translate negatives... which could be fatal.

For instance, something as trivial as:
The machine should be repaired with the current switched on ...

HELP!
Collapse

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Impact Jun 14, 2010

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Gillian Searl wrote:

Not bad, really... Maybe it's high time to start learning some other job? With such great progress these machines will soon beat us, human translators...

I imagine what impact that could have on spoken language if more companies start publishing things like that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone give me a link to BAD machine translations?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »